Calling Collect to the Class of ‘14

There are three prime occasions for Facebook stalking at Harvard—Opening Days, shopping week, and admissions season. Insofar as admissions season ...
By Jose A. DelReal

There are three prime occasions for Facebook stalking at Harvard—Opening Days, shopping week, and admissions season. Insofar as admissions season is concerned, is there a better way to get to know the entering class than by inspecting their profile pictures and favorite music? Well, the Harvard Undergraduate Admissions Council thinks they have a better idea: last weekend they hosted a Dial-a-Prefrosh event and spoke with admitted students about life at Harvard.

1. Katherine J. Gunn ’11Co-Chair of the Harvard Undergraduate Admissions Council

Fifteen Minutes: What’s the reason you guys are calling the prefrosh?

KJG: It’s just to welcome the class of 2014, to give it a more personal touch as opposed to just receiving a packet of information or an e-mail. I remember I spoke to the person that called me for like 45 minutes.

FM: What kind of questions are you being asked?

KJG: The questions for the most part are just about life on campus, like, “Do you have fun?” Or, “How competitive is it?” Or, “Is all you do study?” They know they’re already in so they’re willing to ask things like “Do you go out, do you drink?”

2. Amanda Lu ’11

FM: What do you like about calling prefrosh?

AL: It reminds me why I love Harvard. You have to tell people why they should pick Harvard over another school and you start remembering your own reasons.

FM: What kind of reactions have you gotten?

AL: One of my prefrosh actually didn’t know that she had gotten in. So I told her and she was like, “Are you kidding? Is this a late April Fools’ joke?” It was exciting, I got to break the news and I don’t think that ever happens.

3. Zachary A. Katz ’10

FM: Why did you want to participate today?

ZAK: The phone call from the freshman when I was a senior in high school influenced my decision a lot because it gave a real personal touch to the acceptance.

FM: Any out of the blue questions?

ZAK: Someone asked me about senior theses in physics [laughs].

4. Samantha L. Pickette ’13

FM: How have the prefrosh been reacting when you call them?

SLP:  Everyone seems really happy, really excited. Can you blame them? I was too.

FM: What was your reaction when you were admitted?

SLP: I burst into tears.

FM: Awwww.

SLP: They were happy though [laughs].

For The Moment