Injuries Plague the Water Polo Rookies

By Patrick Galvin, Contributing Writer

As the clock ticks toward the start of Harvard men’s water polo conference play, a more striking countdown has captured the team’s attention as it watches numbers on their roster slowly dwindle.

On Sept. 8, freshman Mike Rizzo quit the team due to a persistent shoulder injury, news that arrived only a few weeks after fellow rookies Will Roller and Hank Clausner were also ruled unfit to play for the remainder of the season due to various injuries.

“It hurts the team tremendously in terms of numbers,” Clausner said.

Although Clausner, who broke his fifth metacarpal shortly before the beginning of the preseason, and Roller, who is recovering from a hip surgery performed in June, are out for the season, they remain a part of the team and attend every practice.

On the other hand, Rizzo made the decision to leave last week after the intense level of collegiate practices aggravated a pre-existing shoulder injury.

“[The decision] was tough like you wouldn’t believe,” Rizzo said. “I love the sport of water polo but it was really, really hard. I had to consider my ability to do things outside of it and for the rest of my life.”

According to Clausner, the freshman class’ misfortune was preceded by the team’s loss of two rising seniors at the end of last term. One senior quit and the other decided to graduate early, cutting the number of active field players for this season down to ten.

“It affects us in a game like the Princeton game, where we were up 6-5 at halftime,” Harvard coach Ted Minnis said. “Their depth took over us in the third quarter. They were subbing six for six and we can’t go six for six … They wore us down.”

“The guys who can play have to play more minutes,” Roller added. “[Clausner and I] could give our starters a break when they needed it. The guys in the water are pulling more weight.”

The minimal numbers not only limit the Crimson’s depth during games, but also during practices when the team is no longer able to hold intra-squad scrimmages.

“Since we can’t run full scrimmages now, we’re running lots of skill based drills,” said Roller. “There’s a lack of game situations in practice.”

According to co-captain Bret Voith, the team will miss Clausner and Roller in the water not solely because the depth they add, but also because of their skills and talent.

“From a personnel perspective, Will and Hank are both guys that could have come in and made impacts as freshman,” Voith said.

Despite their limitations, both Clausner and Roller have adopted new roles on the team. They run errands for their teammates and provide moral support.

“I try to do as much as I can,” Clausner said. “Will and I notice some things you just can’t see from the pool. We give the guys feedback and they’ll work on it.”

Additionally, Clausner and Roller utilize practice time by using the opportunity to rehabilitate and maintain their strength and endurance.

Clausner also hopes to turn his bad luck into an opportunity down the road in his water polo career. Although he is still working out logistics with the athletics department, he hopes to redshirt this year.

“I was really excited about this freshman class,” Minnis said. “It’s a talented group so it will be exciting when they do get in the pool next year.”

Although Harvard’s lack of depth likely contributed to its rough start in the 2010 season, Minnis considers their 2-5 record a minor obstacle for the team to overcome.

“Later in the season we’ll be in much better shape,” Minnis said. “We’re learning how to play tired. It’s about how you play in the beginning of November. [The conference tournament] is what we’re shooting for.”

FeaturesMen's Water Polo