Bob Slate Reopens for Business

By Kerry M. Flynn, Crimson Staff Writer

After months of uncertainty, Bob Slate Stationary, a longtime Harvard Square institution, re-opened in its new location Thursday at 30 Brattle St.

“I’m a looking forward to being a small business owner in the Square and contributing to its quirkiness, breadth of opportunity, and great customer service,” said new owner Laura E. Donohue ’85 outside of the store, surrounded by co-workers and family, community members, and customers.

Donohue purchased the company last spring from the previous owners, Mallory and Justin Slate, and has since been working to reopen the store.

After securing a new location, purchasing furniture, restocking the shelves, and installing other needed items for the store, Donohue held a soft opening in October.

“It’s been several whirlwind months, but we’re back,” Donohue said.

Donohue attributed the success of the official opening to support from her family and the Cambridge community. Cambridge Mayor David P. Maher and Vice Mayor Henrietta Davis, a longtime friend of Donohue, attended the event.

“This a good day in Cambridge and a great day to celebrate what Harvard Square is about,” Maher said. “I believe it’s really important to support businesses like Bob Slate. It’s great to see an independent business with local employees.”

In the presence of the Slate brothers, Donohue pledged to uphold the store to the best of her ability. She thanked them for their support in the opening process.

Meghana Agni, a post-baccalaureate student at the Harvard Health Careers program, was eating lunch across the street when she heard clapping and came over to see what was happening.

“I’ve been waiting for it to open ever since it was bought. I’m very loyal to Bob Slate. I haven’t used a notebook for my classes all semester because I’m stubborn and only use a certain one from Bob Slate,” Agni said.

Agni could not find the specific notebook she was looking for, but she requested the item at the opening. Donohue said she would order in-demand products that were formerly carried in the store to satisfy old customers.

Donohue said she wished she had had more time to plan for the event but wanted to officially open in the wake of the holiday season.

“I think I did everything wrong according to business school, but it’s okay because we’re still here and we’re making it work,” Donohue said.

Donohue plans to extend the store’s hours for the next four weeks due to the holiday.

She concluded her opening speech by thanking the founder and namesake of the store, Mallory and Justin’s father.

“I hope Bob himself is looking down from the great warehouse in the sky and is pleased that his name has lived on,” Donohue said.

—Staff writer Kerry M. Flynn can be reached at kflynn@college.harvard.edu.

Harvard Square