Caroline Kennedy '80 Presents IOP Award

By David W. Kaufman, Contributing Writer

Caroline B. Kennedy ’80 presented the eighth annual John F. Kennedy New Frontier Awards at the Harvard Kennedy School Monday, honoring two individuals who demonstrated the ideals of her father, former President John F. Kennedy ’40.

The New Frontier committee selected Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl and activist Jennifer Staple-Clark for their contributions and work in public service.

The annual awards are presented to Americans under the age of 40 whose “contribution in elected office, community service, or advocacy, demonstrates the impact and value of public service in the spirit of John F. Kennedy,” said Institute of Politics Director C. M. “Trey” Grayson ’94.

Ravenstahl was the youngest person to ever be elected to the Pittsburgh City Council when he was 23 years-old. Three years later he was elected mayor.

Ravenstahl reduced crime in Pittsburgh to a 40 year low and worked to make the city more attractive for visiting tourists.

Jennifer Staple-Clark brought international awareness to eye care with Unite for Sight, a non-profit she founded as a sophomore at Yale University in 2000. Unite for Sight coordinates outreach programs for patients in rural communities who are unable to find or afford eye care.

“I think it is really exciting to see both the IOP and the Kennedy School recognize young leaders who demonstrate the good things that can be done through elected office and public service,” Alex A. Wirth ’15, who attended the event, said.

The ceremony was followed by a reception, where Kennedy, Ravenstahl, and Staple-Clark spoke and took photos with those in attendance.

“I think this is a great partnership between the IOP and the Kennedy Library. People we have recognized have already gone on to do incredible work,” Kennedy said. “I think it will hopefully inspire kids here to see people who are not so much older than them and to figure out a pathway to make a change.”

The award ceremony reflected the ability of young people to change the world, said IOP President Jeffrey F. Solnet ’12.

“I think it shows the capacity for young people to make a difference. Even though you are 21 years old, you can still do great things,” he said.

Grayson said he hoped Staple-Clark and Ravenstahl would have an impact on current students.

“They can say, ‘If he can do that, why can’t I do that?’ We can’t all fund a nonprofit and have it be successful, but [Staple-Clark] did start it in a college dorm room,” he said.

Sietse K. Goffard ’15 said the event reminded him that politics “is not always about mudslinging or name-bashing.”

“It’s really about making a positive impact on the community and inspiring others,” he added.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction.

CORRECTION: NOV. 23, 2011

Due to an editing error, the headline for the online version of the Nov. 22 article "Caroline Kennedy '80 Presents IOP Award" misstated Caroline B. Kennedy's class year.

IOPEvents