Crimson Victorious on Senior Night

Sophomore forward Marshall Everson had the third score on Saturday night against St. Lawrence. Co-captain Michael Del Mauro and classmates Pier Olivier Michaud and Michael Biega had the other three goals from the Crimson, which has won five of its last six.
By Cayla C. Calderwood, Contributing Writer

On Senior Night for the Harvard men’s hockey team, it was the seniors, fittingly, who led the way.

Propelled by goals from all three senior forwards—Pier-Olivier Michaud, Michael Biega, and co-captain Michael Del Mauro—the Crimson (9-19-1, 7-14-1 ECAC) pulled out a 4-3 win against St. Lawrence (10-19-15, 6-15-1) Saturday evening at the Bright Hockey Center.

“I think it may have been the first time in their careers that they all scored in the same game,” said Harvard coach Ted Donato ’91. “It was very nice to see them all score on the same night before their family and friends.”

The Crimson started the game off slowly. After Saints forward Pete Child scored from the point less than four minutes into the contest, Harvard trailed by one for most of the first and second periods.

Then, with 4:20 left in the second frame, Michaud triggered a scoring frenzy that would put Harvard ahead within 30 seconds.

Sophomore forward Connor Morrison set up Michael Biega at the top of the right point. Biega threaded the puck through the defense. But the shot bounced wide, and Michaud took advantage. Sneaking from behind the net, the senior followed it up from the opposite side with a backhand rebound past the goaltender.

The crowd came to its feet as St. Lawrence and Crimson faced off for the next round of play, now tied 1-1. They were satisfied quickly as Harvard found the back of the net again 21 seconds later.

Co-captain and defenseman Chris Huxley found sophomore forward David Valek low on the ice. He brought the puck around the net, looking to try another backhand from the sweet spot Michaud had found moments earlier. But the Saints goalie had learned his lesson and shifted himself left to block the Crimson attack.

Harvard’s offense adapted quickly and Valek fed the puck to the middle, allowing Del Mauro to swoop in after the puck and slam it home, giving the Crimson the lead 2-1 and forcing a St. Lawrence timeout.

“Valek got into their zone and he got the puck first,” Del Mauro said. “I really just went to the front of the net…[and] it’s very easy when guys put the puck on your stick and you’re in front of the goal.”

Harvard’s offensive rhythm was on for the rest of the game and created offensive opportunities all night, outshooting the Saints, 37-35.

“We were a lot better on our forechecks tonight,” Biega said. “We got pucks down low and [their] defense wasn’t able to take it.”

The Crimson’s defensive squad maintained momentum for the rest of the second period, led by senior goalie Ryan Carroll. St. Lawrence offense desperately mounted multiple attacks on goal but found no success. The period expired on several strong defensive plays, keeping the score, 2-1.

“I have to give some credit to St. Lawrence,” Donato said. “But when we needed it, Ryan Carroll came up with some big saves.”

Harvard found the net quickly in the third frame, scoring within 12 seconds of the puck drop. The Saints goaltender mishandled the puck and dropped it right in front of the net. His attempt to clear it failed when sophomore forward Marshall Everson beat him to it and sent it flying past him.

Another Crimson score followed within four minutes when Morrison, in a scramble at mid-ice, found Michaud, who took it down the ice. Michael Biega trailed, setting up a two-on-one play. After drawing the defense, Michaud passed it across to Biega, who neatly fired away what would eventually be the game-winning goal.

“Connor Morrison made a great play in our zone, which led to a two-on-one with me and Pier, ” Biega said. “Pier had a great pass, and I just shot the puck.”

But St. Lawrence wasn’t finished yet, and 11 minutes into the third, the visitors found their first goal since the first period. Mark Armstrong set up a puck reversal with a backhand pass across the middle to Max Mobley, who fed it to Aaron Bogosian for the goal.

The Saints’ final goal came with 2:55 left to play when Greg Carey managed to slip it past Carroll from the left point.

St. Lawrence could come no closer, however, and play expired with tough defensive saves from Harvard.

With the victory, the Crimson has won five of their last six matches, putting the team in a good mindset moving forward into the playoffs.

“Everyone in that room is feeling really good,” Del Mauro said. “[But] if this season has taught us one thing, [it is that] we don’t rest on our laurels…We’re definitely gearing up for playoffs.”

Men's Ice Hockey