Is a Start-Up Career Right for You?

•
Students talk to Jason Sunderson '01, a representative from William Blair after a presentation at the Finance Bootcamp. The event, held on Saturday and Sunday, at the Maxwell Dorkin building, was organized by the student group Harvard Pre-Professional Development in partnership with the Office of Career Services and with the general support of William Blair and Jefferies.

The Office of Career Services will be hosting two events focused on start-up organizations this week, offering students the opportunity to explore careers in entrepreneurship.

On Feb. 10 from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. the Office of Career Services will be hosting an event during which alumni who have gone on to careers in start-up companies—including Stephanie M. Kaplan '10 (HerCampus.com), Kirsten E. Kester '09 (Generation Health, Inc.), and  Mark D. Lurie '07 (Abroad101.com)—will discuss their experiences, according to the OCS website. To pre-register, e-mail ocsrsvp@fas.harvard.edu with "Startup" in the subject line.

"A lot of students have been pursing the idea of being their own boss and how well they can work in a start-up," said Deb Carroll, Director of the OCS On-Campus Interview and Employer Relations Office. "Even if they are not the idea generator themselves, there's lots of interesting work to be done."

On Feb. 11, apply your new knowledge at the OCS' first Start-Up Career Fair from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Radcliffe Gym where representatives from approximately 40 start-up organizations will be promoting job and internship opportunities.

"It's a little bit of an experiment," Carroll said, "but we had such strong responses from the organizations and we know students are so interested in this area. It’s been brewing on campus for quite awhile."

Photo by Ina Chen/The Harvard Crimson

Career CenterStudent Jobs

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.