SPORTS BRIEF: Divers Conclude NCAA Performances

By Steven T.A. Roach, Crimson Staff Writer

Three Harvard divers wrapped up their seasons at the NCAA Zone A Diving Championships. The competition took place this weekend at Annapolis, Md.

Sophomore Michael Stanton was the only Crimson diver to make the finals of both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving competitions. In the 1-meter contest, Stanton ended up in 13th place with a final score of 524.10, the best for a Harvard diver.

Stanton was on course to better his placement last year of 11th at last year’s championships when he ended the preliminaries in seventh, but he dropped six places by the end of the finals. In the 3-meter competition, Stanton landed in 16th place with a score of 580.10.

Senior Zac Ranta finished up his Crimson career with 13th place in the 3-meter diving contest, the best result out of the three divers. He ended with a final score of 597.85.

Last year, Ranta did not compete at the NCAA Zone A Diving Championships, but in 2009, he earned an 11th-place finish in the 3-meter contest, the best of his collegiate career. Ranta ended the preliminaries in 24th for the 1-meter competition and did not qualify for the finals.

Finally, freshman Joe Zarrella took 16th place in the finals of the 1-meter diving competition in his first time competing at the event. Zarrella ended with a final score of 512.75. He landed in 22nd for the 3-meter contest in the preliminaries and did not qualify for the finals.

Men's Swimming