Calling All Lovestruck Writers

•

If your pen is burning a hole in your pocket and love is burning a hole in your heart, now is your chance to write! The New York Times is now accepting entries for its second "Modern Love" college essay contest.

"Modern Love," a weekly column in the Times' Sunday Styles section, features stories on all kinds of love—from a tale of dating two different people with the same name, to an anecdote about the thrill of "sex on the run," to a moving essay about the death of a spouse. Some of the regular topics might not resonate with twenty-somethings, but questions of love (requited or otherwise) are certainly on college students' minds. Hence, the college essay contest.

Three years ago, when the college competition was last held, one winning essay (on the all-too-familiar question of commitment in relationships) and four runner-up essays were chosen by the Times.

After the success of "The Social Network," we're sure an eloquent essay about love at Harvard would be a must-read. Wax poetic about a love that went beyond its beginning as a dance floor make-out in the beer-soaked Delphic basement. Pen a tearjerker about losing out on love at Felipe's after not having enough cash to pay for two late-night burritos. Describe that post on I Saw You Harvard that initially sparked a seemingly great relationship—but culminated in a restraining order. That's all modern love.

Last time the competition was held, over 1,200 essays were submitted (almost 700 arrived on the final day—college students are procrastinators). However, as Harvard students are used to facing low odds, that number shouldn't intimidate anyone.

Essays must be between 1,500 and 1,700 words and should be submitted by March 31. For more information, click here.

This post has been revised to reflect the following correction.

CORRECTION:

The March 18 article "Calling All Lovestruck Writers" incorrectly implied that Felipe's Taqueria accepts Crimson Cash when, in fact, it does not.

Student LifeLove

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.