Thesis, Away!

For seniors lucky enough to have turned in their theses, spring has started early. To ring in two months of ...
By Vera Say

For seniors lucky enough to have turned in their theses, spring has started early. To ring in two months of debauchery, many celebrated their accomplishments by abandoning Widener sweats attire and rejoicing in dapper style at events hosted by their concentrations.

Enticed with the promise of ample food and drink, FM journeyed to the Barker Center in the hopes of sharing post-thesis excitement at one such event: the English Department’s semi-formal soiree. Amidst the overflowing platters of hors d’oeuvres and flutes of champagne set up in the center of the crowded hall, guests sampled the theses projected overhead. For every 100-page-plus behemoth displayed across the screen, there stood a dignified senior reluctant to make use ever again of the English language.

In fact, the distinguished gathering was just as much a collective of future Alcoholics Anonymous attendees as a representative sampling of 2015’s New York Times bestseller list. Those who hadn’t succumbed to sleep deprivation-—or been driven mad by hours spent staring at thoughts conveniently underlined in red and green on their computer screens—planned intoxicating celebratory feasts. When asked about thrilling post-thesis prospects, the elated Amber A. James ’11 summarized the prevailing mood. Caprese appetizer in hand, James laughed as she declared: “I’m going to be drinking, putting the pieces of my life together that had gradually fallen apart as the page counts increased.”

Here’s to hoping that waves of blissful relief continue to invigorate Harvard seniors, perhaps even jarring loose the stereotype of the inebriated, troubled writer in the process.

For The Moment