Nigeria Crux for African Peace

By Mercer R. Cook, Crimson Staff Writer

Nigerian Ambassador Adebowale I. Adefuye said that Nigeria is the key to establishing peace and stability in Africa during a talk at the Barker Center yesterday.

The ambassador discussed American intervention in Libya, Nigerian-American relations, and upcoming Nigerian elections slated to begin April 2.

“We [the government of Nigeria] don’t take no nonsense,” he told the audience during the latest event in the “Nigeria in the World Seminar Series” sponsored by the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs.

The Ambassador had strong words for the U.S. on the subject of the conflict in Libya.

While he appreciated international support of the region, he was adamant that the U.S. should not overstep its boundaries.

“We don’t want a post-Saddam [Hussein] situation with Iraq in Libya,” Adefuye said, later adding, “We don’t want to see America dropping bombs on Africa.”

Adefuye stressed the mutual economic and social interests of the U.S. and Nigeria, arguing that the country must serve as an agent for peace in the region.

“We are committed to a nuclear proliferation-free, democratic, terrorism-free world,” he said. “For there to be peace and security in the world, there has to be peace and security in Africa, and if there is to be peace and security in Africa, it has to start in Nigeria.”

Students said the event helped them understand Nigeria’s role in African politics and beyond.

“It was great to hear about how change is coming to Nigeria from within,” Oluwatobi “Tobi” T. Tikolo ’14 said.

Kennedy M. Opala ’12 said the talk informed his view of Nigeria.

“It’s cool that Nigeria is ready to be an integral member of the world community,” he said.

Adefuye, who said he is not a politician, wanted students to understand that the relationship between the U.S. and Nigeria is better than many people realize.

“We have many goals in common,” he said. “We succumb to the same ideals.”

—Staff writer Mercer R. Cook can be reached at mcook@college.harvard.edu.

EventsHarvard in the World