Pair of Captains Inspire Crimson

By Emily Rutter, Contributing Writer

Harvard’s softball team boasts a special pair of co-captains this year: Ellen Macadam and Emily Henderson. Not only do they work well together on the field, they’ve also built a relationship as roommates for the past three years.

But together, the pair has not had as much success as they would have liked for their team. After finishing second, third, and second again in the Ivy League, the two are hoping to win a championship—this year more than ever.

“We’ve had so many great seasons and one not so great one. We’ve had a lot of disappointing endings,” Macadam reflects. “But I think it’s left us with a lot of drive and hunger to really make this season what we want it to be.”

What both want is for the team to come out on top and win an Ivy title. Furthermore, they hope to communicate this goal to the team, and it sounds like they certainly have.

“They’ve been pushing us so hard in the off-season, we can tell they really want [the championship],” junior pitcher Rachel Brown says.

It’s a twin thing

When Macadam and Henderson journeyed to Cambridge from Atlanta, Georgia, and San Jose, California, respectively, the pair clicked from the start.

“Even on our recruiting trip, we hung out with each other right away,” Henderson says. “It was automatic. I was very comfortable with Ellen right away, and I hope she was with me.”

Over the years the two have spent a lot of time together, both in season and out. They dine, study, practice, lift, and organize team-bonding activities together. They share a room in Winthrop and a love of comedian Brian Regan and cookies (Henderson is touted as the “best baker ever”).  The two are also known to show up at team meals unintentionally wearing the same outfit.

“Emily will leave for class, and we will be wearing the same thing by accident,” Macadam says, amused. “Everyone on the team laughs about it.”

“Happens all the time!” Henderson adds.

For new members of the team especially, it’s hard not to get the two seniors confused.

“A lot of girls on the team can say they have mixed up their names so many times,” Brown jokes.

Harvard Charmers

Individually, the two have had very successful careers in the Crimson uniform.

“Ellen and Emily are both very committed and disciplined players. Each has grown a lot in their four years here,” Harvard coach Jenny Allard remarks.

Henderson was named to the All-Ivy First Team her freshman year, when she set the Ancient Eight record for single-season steals. Her sophomore year, Henderson was tabbed for the All-Ivy Second Team.

Macadam earned a place on the All-Ivy Second Team her rookie season when she posted the highest batting averages, hits, runs, and doubles for the Crimson. In 2010, Macadam was named to the Louisville Slugger/NFCA Northeast Region First-Team and the All-Ivy League First Team.

“They’re great to work with. They’re on the same page in terms of their goals for the team,” Allard adds. “They compliment each other well.”

As co-captains, Macadam is a strong voice in the infield. She has a “focused intensity” about her, as Allard describes. Henderson, the leader from the outfield, has found her voice in the past few years, directing the team with persistence and a positive image.

“I sound ridiculous, but we really don’t see each other very often at practice,” Henderson says. “We kind of joke when we get back to the room and say, ‘So how was practice for you?’”

As natural leaders of the team, the two will have more responsibility as they try to lead the squad to its first Ivy title since 2007.

“I expect both of them to be sparks in the lineup. As captains we expect them to set a great tone and have good pull for the team,” Allard says.

“Ellen’s very vocal. She’ll be the first one to speak after we come in, and her speeches really fire us up,” Brown says. “Emily is the one to put her arm around you if you’re having a tough time. She makes sure everyone on the team is doing well.”

Teammates for life

On top of the fun they have as co-captains, the pair each describe a deeper passion for softball and the team.

“Softball’s really been everything to me here,” Macadam says. “The team is my family.”

“The team is like having 20 other sisters,” Henderson adds.

As they look forward to the season, the two mention another set of goals they have in common: to treasure every game as a team and leave the program better than when they arrived.

“For me personally, the friendships on the team are really the part that lasts,” Henderson remarks. “And [hopefully] we can make the program more competitive and improve it more than it already has.”

“Above anything else, [we want to be remembered] as great teammates and great friends to everyone on the team,” Macadam echoes. “Also, to have made an impact on the program.”

Their strong desire to be remembered has already left an impression on the rest of the squad, Brown emphasizes.

“We’re not going to let them leave without a ring.”

Softball