Cambridge Installs Bike Repair Stations

•

If you've always wanted to bike everywhere instead of relying on Harvard shuttles or worse, the MBTA, now is the time.  The city of Cambridge recently installed three bike maintenance stands, which are available for use, free of charge.  You can now ride your bike around without worrying about getting stuck because of a loose chain.

The bike stands, which provide tools such as pumps, wrenches and tire gauges for cyclists to fix minor problems, are located outside the Cambridge Public Library, by the clock tower at Fresh Pond, and in the parking lot underneath the Harvard Square Hotel in the Square.

According to Cambridge Transportation Program Manager, Cara B. Seiderman '81, each station cost over $1,000 to install.

The change was inspired by MIT, which has a network of five bicycle "fix-it stations" located throughout its campus.

Quad Bikes, a bike repair shop located in the basement of Cabot House, has had several customers who have come into the shop have commented on the stations, according to manager David T. Tucker. He thinks that the stations will come in handy for people hoping to make minor repairs on the road.

"These aren't the places to do a complete overhaul of your bike," Tucker said.

So Harvard, grab your bikes and go for a spin now that the weather is finally warmer. There's no need to worry about getting a flat tire from a pothole left over from winter, thanks to Cambridge's newly installed bike stands.

Student LifeCabotQuad

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.