Tyler G. Hall '11

A film and stage comedian with a healthy respect for laughter

Tyler G. Hall
Tyler G. Hall
By Charlotte D. Smith, Contributing Writer

Some people spend their time painting elaborate portraits in studios, writing meters of circular prose, playing in bands, or practicing their dance steps. What Tyler G. Hall ’11 does is equally as important: he spends his time making people laugh.

One of Harvard’s most prolific screenwriters, Hall has had a hand in the production of On Harvard Time (OHT), Hasty Pudding Theatricals (HPT), and most recently “Sphinx,” a sketch comedy show. But Hall has not always been a writer. He first joined OHT as a tech worker. “I worked on design, sound, and built the desk that is still in there today,” says Hall. Only after OHT started to push members to write did he try his hand at comedic writing. “It’s a very democratizing process. Kids can have their stuff made right away and not have to jump through any hoops to do it,” says Hall. His role with OHT began to expand as time progressed, and he eventually became the show’s executive producer.

Those who know Hall best can see the impact that he’s had on the show. “He basically made On Harvard Time what it is today and it has probably been one of the biggest contributions to the Harvard art scene in the past four years,” says Hall’s roommate Johnny F. Bowman ’11.

Hall also sits on the board for HPT. Every year, the group performs a student-written drag burlesque musical, which travels to New York and Bermuda over spring break. Much like his start with OHT, Hall originally joined the Theatricals to do tech work and gradually expanded his role in the group. Unlike OHT, however, the Hasty Pudding’s shows are less about commentary and more about simply being silly and absurd—qualities that Hall finds refreshing. “The cast works so hard, only for the simple purpose of making people laugh. People love this thing because there’s no pretension; it’s all for ridiculousness,” says Hall. This dynamic is also present in Hall’s demeanor. “He always maintains this relaxed, funny mood. He’s never too serious, but in the best possible way,” says Christopher C. Liberge ’12, one of the co-anchors of OHT.

Most recently, Hall directed “Sphinx,” a sketch comedy show that premiered on April 23 and the first project of its kind that he has directed. “I was really impressed by his ability to make things that he writes on paper funny on stage,” says Zack E. Wortman ’14, who both performed in Sphinx and contributed to its writing.

Writing a comedy sketch of any kind is by no means easy. Hall explains that comedy is a different from other forms of artistic expression in that a person can tell if it is done right or if it is done wrong—the audience either laughs or it doesn’t. “Comedy writing is definitely one of the cooler art forms in this way because you can learn from your mistakes,” notes Hall.

While comedy may seem frivolous by nature, it is an essential facet of life here at the College, where productions like HPT have become so closely associated with the Harvard name. Additionally, laughter can often be the best solution to the troubles that plague Harvard students. “I don’t think a ton of people appreciate what a great outlet it is. Especially here where life can get so stressful and where there’s no shortage of anxiety, it’s great that there’s someone like Tyler who can diffuse all that tension,” says Noah A. Hoch ’11, who has worked with Hall on both OHT and Sphinx. Hall’s talent and dedication to his craft have shaped Harvard’s comedic community. Says Hoch, “You know how they say great things come in little packages? Well Tyler is like that. Except for the little package part.”

On CampusFilmHasty Pudding Theatricals