FM Cribs Presents: DG

Anchors Aweigh on the Sorority's New Clubhouse

Rachel E Davidson

The Crib

With a record number of rushees this spring, it seems that sororities are on the rise at Harvard. Last week, Delta Gamma became the first, and probably not the last, Harvard sorority to acquire a space in Cambridge for its members.

Location: Arrow Street, in the former location of Lame Duck Books

Price: Undisclosed, but they have signed a three year lease.

RUSH

Multimedia

The DG “house” is less of a house and more of a large, comfortable hangout space for chapter members to spend time in between classes or whenever they want to hang out with fellow DGers. After a year-long search, DG obtained a space that is extremely convenient for the Berryline-loving DG members, especially those who live in the Quad and would prefer to stay in the Square between classes.

“The location is pretty central and ideal, which is great,” says Chapter President Caroline T. Quazzo ’12. “It is definitely something that people will actually come to.”

With an official occupancy of 49 people, or about a third of the sorority’s 135 members, the House is certainly not large enough to have Chapter meetings or host parties. However, “we decided the value of having a space regardless of size was more what people were looking for,” Quazzo says. They plan on using the House for board meetings, movie nights, and study sessions among sisters.

The outside door opens up into a staircase that leads you downstairs into the DG space. Instead of using a key, DG Sisters are given a key-code for access to the space. DG shares the building with a few other establishments, whose tenants could be less than pleased if they find 49 sisters in line for the building’s shared bathroom.

BID

At the bottom of the stairs, behind a glass wall is the house’s big attraction: a spacious common area with hardwood floors and stone and brick walls.  A dozen wooden pillars line both sides of the room, running vertically from the floor to the ceiling. Sisterhood is memorialized in the photos adorning the pillars.

The space is divided into three sections: a dining area, a TV area, and a midsection that will soon become a study space. A few pieces of furniture are scattered around the room. The sorority just gained occupancy of the place last Friday. The real decorating process has yet to commence, and a sorority-style makeover seems imminent.

The first section, which lies immediately to the left of the entrance, boasts a large wooden dinner table in chocolate brown and a matching set of 10 chairs, all from Jordan’s Furniture. Here, the sisters will hold board meetings and have their occasional meals.

“I picked out the furniture last weekend, and we definitely fell in love with the dining table,” Quazzo says. “It’s a nice piece.”

The color scheme for the modest decoration is decidedly blue and pink —the official colors of the national organization. Pink roses sit in a vase underneath one window on the right hand side, while three pieces of colored cardboard cut-outs denoting the Greek letters for Delta Gamma and their symbol—an anchor—perch on the other three windows.