From Harvard Degree to Two Degrees

•

Thanks to the social enterprise of one Harvard alumnus, students now have the opportunity to feed a hungry child with each Science Center stop or late-night snack.

Two Degrees Food—a company launched in January that aims to "fight childhood hunger around the world," according to co-founder William B. Hauser '08—is now selling its nutrition bars on campus, around the Square, and across the country. For every Two Degrees nutrition bar sold in the United States, the company donates one ready-to-use food pack to feed a malnourished child in Africa.

Last month, Hauser visited Malawi to deliver 10,800 nutrition packs to individuals in need.

All three flavors of the nutrition bars—Chocolate Peanut, Cherry Almond, and Apple Pecan—are available at the Greenhouse Café for $2.49 each and at the Quad Grille for $2 each. The bars are also sold in the Holyoke Center at Oggi's and The Harvard Shop.

Two Degrees Food sells its snacks at about 40 retailers and on 30 college campuses, Hauser said.

Through the company's Campus Director program, Priya M. Karve '12 spearheads marketing for Two Degrees at Harvard. Her responsibilities include arranging placement of the nutrition bars throughout the area and collaborating with student organizations to promote the product.

"I think Harvard especially is a particularly great place to be selling these bars," Karve said. "The community is really interested in doing things for social good."

Hauser said that the Campus Director program was inspired by his pursuits at Harvard. As president of Harvard Student Agencies in 2008, Hauser "found [his] love of business entrepreneurship." Now, he said he hopes to provide college students with similar opportunities to try out business roles.

"We're definitely growing and we're growing really quickly," Hauser said. "The only way we're going to be able to do this on hundreds of college campuses [is] really empowering students to lead these programs."

On CampusFood and DrinkAlumni

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.