Crimson Loses Final Two Games of Season

Senior shortstop Sean O’Hara chases down a Dartmouth runner in yesterday’s matchup against the Big Green. Dartmouth completed the weekend sweep yesterday, even after finding itself down 6-1 in the second game.
By Catherine E. Coppinger, Crimson Staff Writer

After dropping two games at Dartmouth on Saturday, the Harvard baseball team (9-36, 5-15 Ivy) hoped to rebound at home in its third and fourth contests against the Big Green (28-10, 14-6). But unfortunately for the Crimson, this season’s Rolfe Division champions upheld their title, as Harvard dropped both games of its final twinbill of the season at O’Donnell Field yesterday afternoon.

DARTMOUTH 10, HARVARD 8

Before the start of the sixth inning, the Crimson was up 6-1 over last year’s Ivy League champions. But a 9-2 run in the remaining three innings led Dartmouth to victory.

“We were in the second [game of the day]…and I wish we could have come out on top,” captain catcher Tyler Albright said. “It was exciting and kind of a downer to go out of the season like that.”

Harvard came out strong in yesterday’s nightcap, as junior second baseman Jeff Reynolds batted in senior shortstop Sean O’Hara for the first score of the game with two outs in the first. Albright carried the momentum into the second inning, batting in two runners to push Harvard to an early 3-0 lead.

In the top of the third, O’Hara hit a long home run over the scoreboard to put the Crimson up by four, and in the following two innings, Harvard outscored Dartmouth, 2-1.

“O’Hara’s [home run] was an absolute bomb, and that was awesome for him,” Albright said. “He just absolutely crushed that.”

Senior pitcher Ben Sestanovich started the game for the Crimson, striking out eight batters and allowing two hits in 5.1 innings.

In the top of the sixth, Dartmouth took over, earning three runs to put the game within two on a two-RBI single from senior second baseman Jeff Onstott and an RBI fly out from sophomore Ennis Coble.

Harvard came back to close out the inning, as freshman leftfielder Jack Colton hit a home run to left field and batted in freshman outfielder Jeff Hajdin.

“[Colton’s hit] was a laser shot through the bushes,” Albright said. “It helps us gain a lot of momentum when we have guys who can hit it out of the yard like that.”

Although Harvard increased its lead to four in the bottom of the sixth, a five-run seventh inning put the Big Green on top.

“When you’re giving up 10 runs on six hits, it’s just not there,” Walsh said. “When you get in the game and you’re up 8-4 going into the last couple innings, you need to win those games.”

With two outs in the bottom of the ninth, senior leftfielder Sam Franklin hit a groundball right to the Dartmouth infield but a missed throw allowed the senior to get on base. The Crimson was unable to capitalize on the error, as senior shortstop Sean O’Hara grounded out to end the game.

DARTMOUTH 3, HARVARD 1

The Crimson struggled early on in its first game of the day, as three errors allowed Dartmouth to score an unearned run in the first inning.

Junior lefty pitcher Brent Suter walked Big Green senior outfielder Sam Bean to set up the play after a grounder sent Dartmouth’s first batter back to the dugout. Bean advanced to second on a throwing error, as Suter attempted to pick off Bean at first. A pop fly by Dartmouth sophomore catcher Chris O’Dowd was dropped in the infield and an attempt to throw the runner out at third backfired, helping Bean to third and eventually home. This run gave the Big Green a lead it would not relinquish, despite a strong late effort by the Crimson.

“We didn’t run the bases well,” Walsh said. “We made mistakes out there. The little things it takes to win ballgames, we just didn’t do well.”

After a grounder and two strikeouts made the bottom of the first a quick half-inning, Dartmouth struck again in the second to take a 2-0 lead. Junior outfielder David Turnbull batted in freshman Jeff Keller—who earned Dartmouth’s first hit of the day on the previous play—with a double to right center.

Harvard narrowed the gap to one in the bottom of the third, after senior shortstop Sam Franklin was hit by a pitch with two outs. Reynolds earned the RBI for the Crimson, sending home Franklin with a single up the middle.

The Big Green—which outhit Harvard 7-4—held on for the victory, tallying the game’s final run in the fourth inning on a Bean RBI. Three scoreless innings followed, as the Crimson was unable to string together hits.

Suter had an impressive game on the mound for the Crimson, striking out 11 batters in seven innings pitched.

Though the 2011 season proved to be a disappointing one for the Crimson, which failed to qualify for the Ivy League championships, the squad looked positively upon the season.

“[Playing at Harvard] been a great experience,” Albright said. “Obviously we would have liked a few more wins, but when it comes down to it, that’s not what matters. We have a great group of guys, great teammates, and great coaches, and it’s been an absolute pleasure to play here.”

—Staff writer Catherine E. Coppinger can be reached at ccoppinger@college.harvard.edu.

Baseball