Harvard Takes on Northeast Rivals

After suffering a pair of losses to St. John’s and Rhode Island last weekend, the Harvard men’s soccer team and senior Austin Harms, pictured above, look to turn things around tonight against UMass.
By Peter G. Cornick, Contributing Writer

The Harvard men’s soccer team (1-2) will attempt to return to winning form as it takes on UMass (1-4) and Vermont (3-1) this weekend.

Since its electrifying 1-0 home victory against Northeastern in front of 2,500 fans, the Crimson has dropped two straight games. Harvard failed to put a shot on target in its 2-0 loss to then-No. 25 St. Johns, and although the Crimson found more offensive rhythm against Rhode Island, the team ultimately failed to capitalize on its wealth of chances, falling 2-1.

“Both losses last weekend were a little bit frustrating, but the team morale is really good and we’re all in very high spirits,” co-captain Tim Linden said. “We saw a lot of things going our way on the field.”

Linden believes the team has made offensive improvements during training this week that will translate to success on the field.

“If we get an early goal, the game will really open up,” Linden said. “We’ll be able to really showcase some of the talent that we have.”

The Crimson’s offense will likely be led by junior forward Brian Rogers, who has scored each of Harvard’s two goals so far this season.

“He’s always looking to improve himself as a player, and he’s always looking to improve his teammates around him,” the senior defender said.  “He’s had two good goals already this season, and I’m sure he’s going to want to keep that going.”

The Minutemen come to Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium tonight having lost all four of their away games this season.  During this span, UMass has been held goalless, with its only win coming at home against New Hampshire in double overtime.

Despite the Minutemen’s poor record on the road, Harvard coach Carl Junot is still expecting a tough test from UMass.

“UMass is a team we know pretty well,” Junot said.  “They are a little rugged and are going to want to get stuck in on tackles and break the rhythm of the game up.”

Junot believes home field advantage will help push pace of the game, helping the Crimson establish a positive tempo.

“I believe we will be the stronger possession team,” Junot said. “We will also be playing on the turf [at Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium], so the speed of play will be much quicker. I think that actually benefits us now.”

On Sunday, Harvard will travel to Burlington to challenge the high-flying Catamounts.

Vermont has started off the season with three shutouts in its first four matches, losing just one game to Colgate on a last minute goal. Senior defender Yannick Lewis leads the team with two goals, but the Catamounts have not had problems finding goal scorers. Three different players, including Lewis, have all notched game-winning goals already this season.

“Going to Vermont is always tough,” Linden said.  “They are always a tough team to play against—very competitive, very strong.”

But Linden is confident in his team’s ability.

“We feel we will be the more talented team,” Linden said. “It’s just a matter of taking control of the game early on, and then it comes down to putting the ball in the goal.”

The Crimson will rely on junior co-captain Scott Prozeller to control the pace of the game in the midfield and ignite the offense with his great passing ability.

“[Prozeller] is really the engine of our team, the brain of our team, right in the middle of the field directing a lot of things,” Linden said. “He has not gotten that many opportunities on goal, but when they come for him I’m sure he’ll capitalize.”

This weekend has the potential to be a historic one for senior goalkeeper Austin Harms, as Harms is currently two shutouts away from tying the school record of 19 career shutouts. Linden, a defender, has nothing but high praise for his goalkeeper.

“He’s been back there for four years,” Linden said. “Not only is he a great goalie as far as making saves [and] blocking shots, he’s also very specific with his talk. The big advantage of having a good, experienced goalie is communication and the organization of the defense.”

Despite last weekend’s disappointing losses, Linden says his team is ready to take their game to the next level.

“We had a few hiccups this weekend,” he said, “But I think that’s stuff that we have identified already and corrected, so we should not have any problems going forward.”

PreviewsMen's Soccer