Chapple Comes off Bench, Shines Under Pressure

Starting in place of an injured Collier Winters, junior quarterback Colton Chapple led Harvard to a 24-7 victory over Brown on Friday night. Chapple threw for 207 yards and two touchdowns on 26 passes in the win.
By Keith H. Bender, Contributing Writer

The situation was strikingly similar to last fall when an early-season injury sidelined the starting quarterback, Andrew Hatch ’09-’11, and then-sophomore Colton Chapple was called on to lead the Harvard football team.

This time, it was senior Collier Winters who sustained a minor hamstring injury in the opener against Holy Cross, prompting Crimson coach Tim Murphy to scratch his starter early last week and prepare Chapple for the Ivy League opener against Brown.

In Chapple’s debut last season, Harvard’s offense relied heavily on the Gino Gordon ’10-led run game, and Chapple completed only six passes for 82 yards and one touchdown in a 35-10 road victory over Lafayette.

But in his first start of 2011, Chapple took the reins of the Crimson’s offense, completing 15-of-26 passes for 207 yards, two touchdowns, and only one interception.

Intermittent heavy showers and steady mist throughout the game did not hinder Chapple’s effectiveness, as the junior quarterback averaged eight yards per pass play.

A successful passing game wasn’t Chapple’s only highlight on Friday night—he also showed his athleticism and offensive versatility in a pivotal situation.

On fourth and three on the Brown six-yard line, the Crimson set up for a field goal with Chapple holding the ball.

But it was a fake, and Chapple rushed five yards for a crucial first down, setting up junior running back Treavor Scales’ one-yard touchdown run on the next play.

“We practiced it all week,” said Chapple about the trick play. “Coach [Tony] Reno, our special teams coach, scouted [the Bears] very well, and they were in the right defense for us to exploit them.”

But Chapple didn’t escape the contest without some close calls.

As the first quarter wound down, Brown defensive back Matt Billeci intercepted Chapple’s pass that sailed through the intended receiver’s hands on the first play of Harvard’s drive.

But the Bears were hit with a roughing-the-passer penalty, and the Crimson kept the ball, setting the stage for a methodical march downfield.

After Chapple connected with senior wideout Alex Sarkisian and Scales ran for 25-yards, sophomore tight end Cameron Brate hauled in a 20-yard pass in the end zone to put the Crimson up 14-0, capping off an impressive 80-yard drive.

In the fourth quarter, with Brown down by only a touchdown, Chapple stepped up, orchestrating an eight-play, 95-yard drive ending in a 56-yard touchdown throw to senior receiver Adam Chrissis.

What Chapple sees as the main difference between the similar situation he faced last season and this weekend’s contest was his level of preparation.

“Last year I kind of got caught off guard [being called on to start in the third game of the season], and I didn’t have the grasp on the offense that I do now,” Chapple said. “[This year] I came into the season expecting to play, expecting to contribute. I feel like I was more prepared in that sense, and more ready to play college football than I was last year.”

In the 2010 campaign, the sophomore made three starts while Hatch and Winters recovered from injuries.

With Winters nursing his hamstring, the team is not sure who will be running the offense on Saturday at Lafayette, a non-conference game. Though Winters has been making progress, the team will likely focus on keeping him healthy instead of risking injury in a game that doesn’t appear on the Crimson’s Ivy record.

“There’s a chance [Winters] might play, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Colton starts the game on Saturday,” Brate said.

If Harvard needs Chapple on Saturday, he will be ready.

“Right now, I’m still going with the mindset that if Collier can’t go I’m going to be the guy and do whatever it takes to get the win against Lafayette,” Chapple said.

But regardless of who is taking the snaps on Saturday, for Chapple, starting in a home night game against an Ivy League rival and getting the win was a memorable experience.

“I grew up in Georgia dreaming about these games,” Chapple said. “It almost had a high school feel to it, being at night under the lights. … To look up in the stands and see 20,000 people, it’s a great opportunity, and it’s a great stage.”

FootballAthlete Of The Week