Artists Talk and Hawk Their Wares at Alternative Comics Mecca

Optimistic comics artists get serious about bringing indie art to the public

By Alexander J. Spencer, Contributing Writer

“With great power comes great responsibility,” said the uncle of Peter Parker, also known as Spiderman, and at the Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo (MICE), it was clear that alternative comics artists were thinking seriously about the responsibility that comes with their expanding influence. For the second year in a row, MICE has attracted independent artists, graphic novelists, and writers hoping to showcase and sell their work. Organizer Dan Mazur says the expo is important to him because there are “not enough organized events” related to comics. Mazur says he is extremely optimistic about the future of independent comics, because graphic novels are increasingly featuring different kinds of stories, from traditional action and science fiction to jounalism and memoir, as well as catering to non-traditional demographics. He hopes that one day “people will stop asking about superheroes” and recognize the full potential of the medium.

With its main events and showcase at University Hall at Lesley University, MICE has already outgrown its previous location at the Art Institute of Boston. The fair boasted 80 exhibits, varying from classic comic books to independent graphic novels. Exhibitor Allan Dorison makes graphic novels specifically for adults. Dorison prides himself on “trying to get back to the era of comic books when they were free-spirited, and not politically correct.”

Having been head of the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art in New York, Dorison says he does not draw comics primarily for money. “I enjoy drawing, going to showings, and meeting new people, because [each] show has a different demographic,” he says. Indeed, most of the exhibitors have day jobs that do not involve comics. As exhibitor Erica Henderson points out, it is not the money or her readers that influence her. “I don’t think in terms of who the work is for. I don’t make something for someone, I make something for myself as an outlet for my creativity,” she says.

On the whole, the artists seemed optimistic about the future of comics. Exhibitor Tyler James said to attendees that visited his table that “there has never been better material. All the action is in independent comics.” He added that the increasing number of expos for these artists are evidence of the medium’s growing popularity.

MICE drew a broad and diverse group of attendees. From longtime comics fans to young children, the expo sought to appeal to multiple generations of readers. Others, such as Matt Dursin and Clay Fernald, were there to support their friends, who are independent comics artists. Having tried to publish graphic novels in the past, they appreciated the expo’s work to help promote emerging artists.

Among MICE’s unique offerings were its discussion panels about the issues facing the changing world of graphic art. In the panel “Comics and Teaching,” two local high school teachers and a professor from Emerson College discussed integrating comics into their pedagogy. Michael Gianfrancesco, a high-school English teacher, said that he was open to using comics in his lessons. He said that most high schoolers are becoming reliant on SparkNotes, and that books such as “The Scarlet Letter” are “hard to sell” to tenth-graders. By also teaching graphic novels with similar themes of alienation, Gianfrancesco believes he can make the older classics accessible.

Much like Spiderman, who believed he had a duty to use his talents to help others, the graphic novelists at MICE continue to manipulate their creations to keep them fresh, relevant, and exciting for an ever-expanding audience.

BooksCambridge