Sushi Spots in the Square

Sushi, a time-honored Japanese art, is now a dietary staple for any college epicurean. With a sea of options to ...
By Reina A.E. Gattuso

Sushi, a time-honored Japanese art, is now a dietary staple for any college epicurean.  With a sea of options to choose from, what’s a globally-minded gastronome to do?  This week, FM navigates Harvard Square to demystify that age-old staple: the spicy tuna roll, known to insiders as maguro.

Takemura

Price: $6.95 for six

Ambience:  Subterranean.  Basic “Chinese restaurant” theme, Japanese-style.

The Goods: Takemura delivers a rich roll. Without any avocado or cucumber, the focus is on the fish: creamy tuna mixed with tangy, but not spicy, sauce. Contrast with the chewy, vaguely fragrant rice and pleasantly rubbery seaweed is subtle at best. Plus: a compact roll, this sushi doesn’t fall apart in soy sauce.

The Verdict: Three stars out of five—deductions for the ho-hum sauce, lack of crisp contrasting textures, and steep price.

Shabu-Ya

Price:  $6.50 for eight

Ambience:  Fun, colorful aesthetic reminiscent of many a bubble-tea chain.

The Goods: Large and a bit unstable, with well-cooked rice. Unique blend of textures: crisp, fresh julienned cucumber; rich, creamy avocado; chewy rice and seaweed; soft fish; and spicy sauce on top that adds a nice sizzle.

The Verdict: Four and a half stars out of five—major points for a big portion, nice texture and (comparatively) cheap price; minuses include slight unmanageability.

Cafe Sushi

Price: $5.75 for six

Ambience:  Wood-backed chairs and dark enamel—not to mention the smooth jazz—point to classy aspirations.

The Goods: The roll is messy, rice loose, less chewy and with a tendency to crumple into the soy sauce. Though the fish is mild and sauce lightly spicy, the one chunk of cucumber irritates.

The Verdict: Two out of five—docked points for the unwieldy roll and annoying cucumber, but at least it’s affordable.

While nobody’s perfect, Shabu-Ya takes it this round.

Alternatively, the cheap and studious can get their sushi fix without even leaving Lamont.  Who cares what it tastes like when it’s on Board Plus.

For The Moment