Restaurant Review: Zinneken's

By now, everyone knows that cupcake crazes and froyo fanaticism are clearly passé. For those looking for the Next Big ...
By Katie H. Sylvan

By now, everyone knows that cupcake crazes and froyo fanaticism are clearly passé.  For those looking for the Next Big Thing, there’s a new specialty food in town: Belgian waffles.   Sure to excite sweet tooths and breakfast lovers alike, Zinneken’s, a new gourmet Belgian waffle bakery, recently opened in Harvard Square. Located on Mass Ave right behind Berryline in the former location of Arrow Street Crepes, Zinneken’s is a business started by two high school friends that aims to bring authentic Belgian waffles to Boston.

Zinneken’s has done a great job revamping the space, and has successfully channeled a modern-yet-quaint European feel. The interior is bright and airy, and the light wooden tables and floors nicely accent the beige and lavender walls. The small space consists of five individual tables and a sit-down countertop overlooking the street. The atmosphere is a relaxed one, and is conducive to a quiet afternoon of sipping cappuccinos, engaging in intimate conversations with friends, and, thanks to the free Wi-Fi, writing the Lit and Sex paper that’s due tomorrow. Expect patrons to be affluent and in their late twenties, probably getting a master’s degree of some sort.

The waffles themselves are Belgian specialty “sugar waffles,” and are much sweeter and denser than their American counterparts. While some might find the batter to be a little excessively doughy, those looking for a good dessert will discover that the waffles might serve as a perfect post-meal addition. Toppings range from shaved Belgian dark chocolate to Nutella to fresh berries to maple syrup. Be prepared, though: these waffles are pricey, and a couple of extra toppings could potentially put a big dent in your wallet. Besides waffles, Zinneken’s also sells coffee drinks, Belgian chocolates, candies, and jams.

Zinnekens is located at 1154 Massachusetts Avenue. Prices are as follows:

$4.70 for the specialty waffle

+ $1 per fresh fruit topping

+ 50¢ per non-fruit topping

+ $2.30 for a scoop of ice cream

For The Moment