Men's Crew Competes at Foot of the Charles

Harvard men’s crew capped off its fall season with a strong showing at the Foot of the Charles, with the Crimson heavyweights winning the regatta and the lightweights putting up consistent performances.

The regatta—hosted by crosstown rival Boston University—featured boats from MIT, Northeastern, Boston College, and Brown. The races took place on Saturday and were marked by sunny skies and light winds, as well as alumni who gathered for the weekend to support their alma mater.

“We’ve got a really good measuring stick for where we’re at,” said senior James O’Connor, who competed in the varsity four race. “After a solid winter training session, we are probably going to be in a pretty good place come springtime.”

HEAVYWEIGHTS

The heavyweights finished first in the varsity four and freshman eight races, notching their third and sixth straight victories, respectively.

“It’s a good culmination to the fall season because we have been putting in some hard work, and it’s good to see where we are at in this stage of the year,” O’Connor said.

The varsity four was a close race, but the Crimson finished on top with a time of 13:11.1. The next three boats finished within a second of one another, with Northeastern edging BU and Harvard’s B boat for second place.

“We learned that Northeastern, BU, Brown and the rest of out local opposition are very strong,” O’Connor said.

Despite a competitive showing from its crosstown rivals, the Crimson was the only team to finish with five boats in the top 20 after its other boats placed seventh, 13th, and 16th. Three other Harvard heavyweight fours came in 23rd, 34th, and 35th.

In the freshman eight race, Harvard came in first with a time of 12:18.3, beating out second-place Northeastern by four seconds.

The Crimson B boat came in fourth, 42 seconds off Brown’s time, but placed ahead of the Harvard lightweights by four seconds. The B boat also beat out BC’s top heavyweight team.

Sixteen boats participated in the freshman eight race, in which Harvard also took 10th and 15th place.

The team will return to competition in March for the dual season.

“We’ve got quite a while until our next proper race, so now we are going to just start putting in the hard yards,” O’Connor said.

LIGHTWEIGHTS

Recommended Articles

NOTICE.
In case there are any boats near the start, it is requested that they keep well behind the referee's boat,
OFF TO THE RACES
Rookies Dominate Field at Princeton’s Carnegie Chase
Successful Foot of the Charles Brings Radcliffe Fall Season to a Close
Faced with pristine morning conditions on the Charles, the Radcliffe lightweight and heavyweight crews took to the water to take ...
SPORTS BRIEF: Men's Heavyweight Crew Continues Undefeated Season
They say 16 is the sweetest. Such was true as the No. 2 Harvard heavyweight men’s crew team bested both No. 4 Northeastern and Holy Cross in five races on Saturday on the Charles River. The wins allowed the Crimson to capture the 16th straight Smith Cup over its cross-town rivals.
Men's Heavyweights Win 16th Straight Smith Cup
It was sweet number 16 for the no. 2 Harvard heavyweight men’s crew as the Crimson bested both No. 4 Northeastern and Holy Cross in five-of-five races on Saturday on the Charles River. The victory was Harvard’s 16th straight Smith Cup in the annual regatta between the cross-town rivals.
Solid Showing for Men's Lightweight Crew at Princeton Chase
With boats representing the Crimson in the 8+, 4+, and freshman races, Harvard managed to snag several top finishes on Lake Carnegie this weekend.