NOTEBOOK: Men's Hockey Perfect on Penalty Kill

They say that sometimes the best things in life are the ones you have to wait for, but that wasn’t necessarily the case for the No. 20 Harvard men’s hockey team on Friday.

Playing its first game in 20 days, the Crimson could not hang on to an early two-goal lead and tied at Merrimack, 2-2, in North Andover, Mass.

All four goals were scored in the second period, during which time Harvard was outshot 16-9. But the Crimson (4-3-1, 3-3 ECAC) got on the board first when sophomore forward Tommy O’Regan and freshman defenseman Desmond Bergin registered scores in the period’s third minute.

At the 3:13 mark of the second, O’Regan put back a rebound in traffic for his first goal of the season, with Bergin and senior defenseman Brendan Rempel earning credit for assists.

Just 31 seconds later, O’Regan returned the favor by assisting Bergin, who fired a slapshot from the left circle past Merrimack goalie Sam Marotta to put Harvard up, 2-0.

Bergin’s goal gave O’Regan an assist in seven of his last eight games and was the first career score for the rookie from Natick, Mass.

“It’s always exciting to get your first college goal, and for it to come in an important game at Merrimack, it had to be a good feeling for him,” junior defenseman Dan Ford said.

But the Warriors (5-7-3, 4-4-1 Hockey East) answered right back within three minutes when Rhett Bly scored a short-handed goal, and at the 13:58 mark of the period, Merrimack’s Mike Collins beat Harvard junior goalie Raphael Girard to tie things up.

Neither team was able to get on the board from there, as the Warriors outshot the Crimson 12-7 the rest of the way and 38-24 on the night.

“It’s hard to keep your feet wet if you haven’t been playing for a couple weeks, but I think we did a good job playing the whole game,” Girard said. “It was a really great effort for the whole team.”


The Crimson was plagued by penalties throughout the night, registering 19 minutes in the box on eight infractions. Merrimack, in contrast, was called for just four penalties totaling eight minutes.

Harvard endured the game’s first four penalties and its final three. Captain Danny Biega was whistled for interference at the 7:59 mark of the opening period and for boarding at 13:50, and later the defenseman was called for kneeing on the final play of regulation.

“I don’t like to complain about the refs, but they had some doubtful calls,” Girard said. “But you have to live with the decisions the ref makes and you have to go with it whether you’re happy or not because you still have to kill the penalty.”

Harvard did just that Friday night, holding Merrimack scoreless on all its man-up opportunities, including throughout the entire five-minute overtime thanks to Biega’s final infraction.


Recommended Articles

French 60 Gives New Vision of Haiti
Offered for the first time last semester, the course “French 60: French and the Community,” is all about getting students ...
Haiti Leve
Beneath the arches of the colosseum, a mass of swaying blue stood in anticipation. When the Haitian National Anthem started ...
Men's Hockey Nabs 5-1 Victory At Home
The result did not matter, but it’s hard to imagine a better outcome for the Harvard men’s hockey team’s game against McGill on Friday night at Bright Hockey Center.
Men's Hockey Hangs On To Tie Merrimack, 2-2
Rookies Propel Men's Hockey to Win in Tournament Opener
The Crimson upset Dartmouth, 2-1, in the first game of a best-of-three ECAC first-round series.
Men's Hockey Hangs on to Defeat Princeton, 3-2
Despite two extra-man goals from Tiger senior defenseman Alex Rush in the final seven minutes, the Crimson escaped the ice with a 3-2 win.