'We're Gonna Skate at One Rink and One Rink Only'

•
World-class skaters Gretchen Donlan and Andrew Speroff perform at the 40th Anniversary of “An Evening with Champions”, Harvard’s annual philanthropic skating exhibition for the Jimmy Fund and pediatric cancer research.

Feeling festive and need a break from studying that doesn't involve you perusing the depths of the internet or eating your body weight in cereal? Then treat yourself to an excursion to one of the many ice rinks the Boston area has to offer. Although Harvard's ice rink is not currently open due to construction, there are some great options not too far from campus that promise to fulfil all the ice skating dreams you've ever had.The Charles Hotel, Cambridge

Price: $5 adults, $3 children 12 and under; $5 skate rental

Hours: Monday-Friday 4pm-7pm, weekends and holidays 10am-6pm

Practically in Harvard's backyard, the ice rink at The Charles Hotel makes for the perfect seasonal study break. The 2,900-square-foot rink offers plenty of room for a quick spin around the ice, but if you’re feeling more intense, season passes and private lessons are offered. There are also hot and cold beverages and snacks available in case you work up an appetite!

Boston Common Frog Pond

Price: $5 adults, children 13 and under free; $9 adult skate rental, $5 child skate rental

Hours: Mondays 10am-4pm, Tuesday-Thursday 10am-9pm, Friday and Saturday 10am-10pm, Sunday 10am-9pm

With its central location, the ice rink at the Boston Common Frog Pond is always a popular choice. Though all the little kiddos running around can prove frustrating for anyone looking to do some serious skating, the atmosphere and picturesque scenery make it a must-visit. The Frog Pond may be more expensive than some of the other options in the area, but with a college night every Tuesday ($2 admission, 6pm-9pm), it promises to be the best "cheap skate date" in Boston.  The Frog Pond Café is also open during public skating hours and offers a special seasonal menu for adults and children.

Kendall Square Community Ice Rink

Price: $5 adults, $3 students and seniors, $1 children; $8 skate rental

Hours: Monday-Thursday noon-8pm, Fridays noon-9pm, Saturdays 11am-9pm, Sundays 11am-6pm

If you fancy getting away from campus for a while, the community ice skating rink in Kendall Square is just two T-stops away. Less popular than the rink at Boston Common, Kendall may be a better option for more serious skaters who want room to do their thing (if you fancy yourself the next Yuna Kim, this may well be the place for you).

Student LifeCambridgeBostonRecreational AthleticsFlyby City

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.