'The Hunger Pains' Is a Bestseller

•

Instead of re-reading Suzanne Collins' popular "The Hunger Games" trilogy in anticipation of the March 23 movie premier, many are picking up "The Hunger Pains: A Parody". Written by the Harvard Lampoon, a semi-secret Sorrento Square social organization that used to occasionally publish a so-called humor magazine, "The Hunger Pains" follows protagonist Kantkiss Neverclean as she competes in the second highest-rated reality television show in Peaceland.

The book, which was published on Feb. 7, has already reached number 27 on the New York Times paperback non-fiction list (If you're not sure how the book qualifies as non-fiction, neither is Flyby). The Lampoon has a history of publishing well-ranked spoofs. In 2009, the Lampoon released "Nightlight: A Parody," a send-up of Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" sensation.

Wary buyers who would like a taste before committing to the full 176 pages can read an excerpt or check out the book's trailer, featuring Thomas Lennon.

Not a fan of sci-fi? For readers who prefer reality, "Survivor," the original hunger pains television show, has returned for a 24th season, airing Wednesdays at 7 p.m. on CBS. Grab a snack and watch famished contestants battle it out for fame and fortune.

BooksStudent Groups

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.