Piece of Mind? Piece of Cake

•
Chuseok is one of the major traditional Korean holidays, similar to Thanksgiving in the US. It celebrates the end of another successful harvest and is a time to enjoy delicious food with friends and family.

Have you ever contemplated the texture of your Marshmallow Mateys? Probably not. However, analyzing those multi-colored 'mallows during tomorrow's breakfast may not be such a bad idea.

A recent New York Times article reveals that the practice of mindful eating, which stems from Buddhist philosophy, might be beneficial to our health.

Dr. Lillian W. Cheung, a nutritionist and Director of Health Promotion & Communication at the School of Public Health, is one of the leading supporters of mindful eating. She encourages us to forget the distractions of smart phones, TV, and newspapers, and to instead focus on our meals.

"We engage all our senses while eating. We appreciate the colors, smell, texture and sound arising from eating, not just taste," Cheung says. She also adds that eating mindfully can help us realize when we are full, which can prevent binge eating.

For those with a packed schedule, Cheung has some tips on how to improve eating and incorporate some solace and peace into the day.  First, put away cell phones and other gadgets, and keep conversations focused on positive topics. Second, eat balanced meals throughout the day—skipping meals has no positive benefits. Third, "Go for the plants," Cheung says. It helps both you and the planet.

Want to learn more? Watch Cheung talk about the Seven Practice of a Mindful Eater here.

Food and DrinkHealthSchool of Public Health

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.