NOTEBOOK: Women's Hockey Struggles in Opening Minutes at Beanpot

By Anthony Spadafino, Contributing Writer

The Crimson entered the 34th Annual Women’s Beanpot Tournament searching for its 14th title, which would have left Harvard tied with Northeastern for the most all-time.

Although a tough opening-round loss to Boston University left the Crimson in the consolation game for this year’s Beanpot, a top-ten matchup between No. 6 Boston College and No. 8 Harvard was sure to bring the best out of both teams.

The Crimson (16-8-1, 13-4-1 ECAC) managed to outshoot the Eagles, 35-29, but two second period BC goals ended up being the difference as the Crimson fell, 4-2.

The second frame tallies by BC was a flip on Harvard’s usually-dominating middle period offense.

The Crimson has scored more goals this season in the second frame than in any other period, including seven goals in its NCAA record-tying performance against Princeton on Saturday.

The Eagles (19-8-3, 11-4-2 WHEA) and its goaltender Corinne Boyles, who had 33 saves on the night, managed to stifle the Harvard offense in the middle period, despite the Crimson’s typical success during this time.

NOT-SO-SPECIAL TEAMS

Despite numerous chances, Harvard was not able to take full advantage of the eight BC penalties, with its lone power-play goal coming 9:05 into the third period.

For the tally, junior forward Jillian Dempsey pounced on a loose puck behind the net and took advantage of the out-of-position Boyles, giving Dempsey her team-leading 22nd score of the season.

The goal cut the Eagles’ lead within two, but Dempsey’s finish turned out to be the final tally of the night for the Crimson.

On the flip side, the Boston College power play was extremely efficient.

The Eagles managed to score on two-out-of-three power-play opportunities. Both goals came in the decisive second frame when BC turned a 1-1 first period deadlock into a commanding 3-1 lead.

But Harvard coach Katey Stone remained positive about her squad’s power play.

“We had 14 shots on the power play, which isn’t bad,” Stone said. “Their goalie popped out some rebounds, we just couldn’t take advantage. Their best penalty killer was the goaltender. All we can do is work on it in practice on Thursday, and get right back at it this Friday.”

SLUGGISH STARTS

In its opening Beanpot game against then-unranked BU on Jan. 31, the Crimson fell behind early on its way to a 5-2 loss.

While Harvard seemed to fix that problem in two impressive wins last weekend against Quinnipiac and Princeton, the Crimson, once again, had a problem getting started in its final Beanpot fixture on Tuesday night, allowing the Eagles to find the back of the net first.

But, down 1-0, Harvard was able to battle back from an early deficit.

Captain Alisa Baumgartner scored her second goal of the season at 13:09 into the opening period from an on-point pass by freshman center Hillary Crowe, bringing the Crimson into the lockerroom tied, 1-1, at the first intermission.

Yet Harvard was sluggish again at the beginning of both the second and third frames, too.

Just like the commencement of the opening period, the Crimson allowed a goal within the first five minutes of the two ensuing frames, as well.

“We have to be ready to go at the drop of the puck, have to get going right away,” Dempsey said.

Though, the struggle was not solely the fault of Harvard’s defenders or junior goaltender Laura Bellamy, who kept the puck from entering the goal 25 times on the night.

“Us forwards should have done a better job backtracking, too,” Dempsey added.

DEMPSEY STAYS HOT

Cruising off of a killer weekend where she averaged more than a hat trick in two games, Dempsey continued to lead the Crimson offense.

Her 22nd goal of the season, notched against BC Tuesday night, was her eighth in the last three games.  Her “quintet” against Princeton last Saturday was just one shy of the NCAA record for most goals by a player in a single game, currently held by Harvard alum Nicole Corriero ’05.

Dempsey was a hefty presence for the BC defense to handle, racking up seven shots on net to lead the team.

But the ever-humble Dempsey was quick to credit her teammates.

“I play on a great line, and we all just work together so well,” Dempsey said.

The Winthrop, Mass. native will look to continue her offensive onslaught this Friday, as Harvard travels to Rensselaer.

Women's Ice Hockey