Editorials

NCAA Pride

Tourney bid portends bright future for Harvard hoops

By The Crimson Staff

Harvard is one of the world’s most well-known colleges, an honor that was not particularly earned from any historical Crimson athletic prowess. Mentions of our campus conjure up images of austere brick buildings and students preparing for an exam (or perhaps a Goldman interview). Even the sports at which Harvard has traditionally succeeded relate more to a culture of rigor and tradition (e.g.,crew) than a display of inherent otherworldly talent. This year, however, Harvard expanded the ambit of its excellence with its qualification for the NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Championship. By now, everyone knows the story:This Harvard team earned a March Madness bid for the first time in 66 years. Unfortunately, it could not prolong this moment in the sun, as Vanderbilt, the fifth-seed, knocked out the team in the first round.

A disappointing loss against—as every sportscaster, Tweeter, and their respective mothers was quick to point out—the “Harvard of the South” stung but does not detract from the magnitude of this season’s achievement. Defeating the SEC champions was always a tough task, despite Harvard students’ best attempts to convince themselves Vandy was overrated. The success of the Harvard basketball team was not upsetting the Commodores, but rather earning the support of a genuine fan base. For the first time in years, the Harvard community could coalesce around Crimson hoops. Such a turn of events would have been unthinkable just five years ago, and we are excited about the very positive direction that Harvard athletics are heading.

A knock against attending Harvard (and the Ivy League in general) as opposed to a comparable academic institution such as Stanford or Georgetown has always been the lack of social atmosphere surrounding sports. This perception may be on the wane. Harvard’s end-of-year games against Penn and Princeton sold out almost instantly, and even those who do not cross the Charles River within the initial hours of ticket sales are able to tune in on television. In fact, the meager space designated as a student section in the Lavietes Pavilion has become inadequate for hosting the Crimson’s new array of interested fans.As Harvard continues its ascent in the world of basketball relevance, additional student sections will be necessary.

While students may not transform into Duke-style “Lavietes Loonies” anytime soon, the rising community aspect of the sport here on campuscannot be ignored. A sense of pride existed among Harvard affiliates in a way not previously seen. The only other event in which the entire student body rallies behind the Crimson is “The Game,” which is more about partying than admiring Harvard’s pigskin dominance over hapless Yalies. Prospective Harvard basketball players can now be pointed toward demonstrated assurances against an allegedly anti-sports culture on campus, a fact that will help future recruiting.This year’s historic run can be more than partly attributed to head coach Tommy Amaker’s laudable recruiting ability. Amaker has done an incredible job coaching since taking the position in 2007. Having turned down an offer to coach the Miami Hurricanes last year, he looks set to continue to make his mark as Harvard’s basketball team continues its rise. And next year, we’ll be back.

Editorials