Best Places to Watch the 2012 Boston Marathon

•
Nearly 27,000 participants and a half-million spectators attended the 115th Boston Marathon yesterday. Geoffrey Mutai of Kenya placed first in the men’s division and set a new world-record marathon time.

Not even a "Warm Weather Advisory" will prevent the most die-hard athletes from running the 2012 Boston Marathon. With temperatures predicted to soar into the mid and upper 80s, event organizers issued a bulletin encouraging inexperienced runners to skip the race, offering them the option of deferring and participating next year. But for spectators yearning for a taste of summer in April, the warm weather provides a great excuse to get outside. Here are a few of the best places to witness all of the action:

Boston College

Runners follow Commonwealth Ave., past Boston College, as they make their way toward downtown. Find a spot along the street, and join in the excitement of a college-aged crowd. From Harvard, take the red line to Park Street and transfer to a Boston College-bound green line train.

Kenmore Square Area

The Boston Red Sox are playing in Fenway at 11 a.m. Crowds for the baseball game mixed with spectators for the marathon will make for heavy traffic and public transit nightmares. However, you can take the Harvard M2 Shuttle (free!) across the Charles River to Beacon St. and then walk a few blocks down Mass Ave. to Commonwealth Avenue.

Copley Square (The Finish Line!)

Join hundreds of thousands of spectators at the most exciting part of the race. If you're seeking excitement, can handle hordes of people, and are willing to walk, this is the place for you. Copley Square station is closed, so you'll have to take the green line to Arlington and do some walking.

For those who prefer the comfort of their dorm room, the marathon will be broadcast free online at UniversalSports.com starting at 9:30 a.m.

BostonHeadlinesBoston MarathonOff Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.