Performance and Storytelling on the London Stage.

•
Puppet theatre stafe
Puppet theatre stafe

The dancer’s foot hovers next to a string. The string is unplucked.

The thought occurs to me that physical proximity and tension on stage both imitates and complicates our human anxieties.

The following is the first in a series of diary entries that track the progress of my Artist Development Fellowship, as I work on a series of pieces for theater using puppets, animations and actors. I hope to share with you some of my experiences and sources of inspiration as I put the pieces together, both on the page and through meeting and collaborating with other artists in London.

This week, I have been working on a dialogue titled “My Holy Water” centered upon a couple’s resentment of each other’s religious rituals. As I grappled with making visual the two characters’ push-me-pull-you vocabulary, I was reminded of I a performance by a theater troupe called Curious Directive that I saw at the International Student Drama Festival a few weeks ago. The performance showed three generations of characters, descended in various ways from a cartographer who has travelled to Norway to chart its mountains.

In a bright, bare room, colored strings were wound from a spot in a set wall and used to separate areas of the stage and cause obstructions to the characters; they were crossed in a grid and then manipulated into the contours of a landscape.

The transformation from map to life and script to live performance was visibly, constantly happening––What worked in a story about people separated by time and space, can work in a story about people separated by understanding too.

Georgina Parfitt writes from London, UK, tracing her artistic process as she works on her summer Artist Development Fellowship

TheaterLiteratureSummerArtsCulture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.