A smoking barrel on JFK St.
At about 4:20 p.m. on Monday, the Cambridge Fire Department responded to a smoking trash can at the corner of JFK St. and South St. They took the trash can apart and extinguished the fire.
One firefighter, who was granted anonymity by The Crimson because firefighters are not allowed to talk to the press, said that the fire was caused by "excessive heat in a barrel."
Another suggested the fire may have been a result of a passerby throwing a lit cigarette butt into the trash can.