Freshman Coeds Finish Second

By Blake Sundel, Crimson Staff Writer

For most Harvard students, the first weekend of the school year seems like a continuation of summer. The sun is still out, there is barely any work to be done, and hours of free time are waiting to be wasted.

But this was not the case for the Harvard sailing team. While most were relaxing, the Crimson sailors kicked off their season with a full weekend of competitions.

Harvard competed in three regattas on Saturday and Sunday. A freshmen crew from the coed sailing team finished second in the Tufts Central Series 1 regatta, while other coed racers ended up in the eighth spot at Yale’s Harry Anderson Trophy. Over at MIT, the women’s sailing team took the eighth position at the Toni Deustch ’58 regatta.

“I saw what I wanted to, which was a strong effort and enthusiasm,” Harvard coach Mike O’Connor said. “Now I have an objective view of what we need to work on. We did some things pretty well, and I’m pleased with the start and pleased with the effort.”

HARRY ANDERSON TROPHY

A group of coed racers headed down to New Haven to compete in the annual Harry Anderson Trophy. It was the largest regatta of the weekend for the Crimson, as the racers were pitted against 16 other teams.

The sailors completed a full slate of races on Saturday, but the good weather did not continue into Sunday. Due to a weak breeze, only two races were held on what should have been day two of competition.

Harvard scored 127 points over the course of the regatta, resulting in an eighth place finish. Yale, the event host, won the regatta with 62 points.

Sophomore Gram Slattery, his classmate Brian Drumm, and junior Benjamin Lamont competed in the A division for the Crimson. This trio recorded 83 points, which was tenth best in their respective division.

Senior Jason Michas teamed with sophomores Michael Drumm and Reid Bergsund to score 44 points in the B Division, amassing the third lowest score in the division.

Michas, one of the senior leaders on the team, thought the squad performed well in its first regatta of the season.

“I think we were all trying to establish our positions on the team,” Michas said. “It was our first regatta of the season, so we were all a little rusty, but we were excited to get out and compete after practicing all week “

WOMEN’S TONI DEUTSCH ’58 TROPHY

The women’s team did not have to travel far for their races in MIT’s Women’s Toni Deutsch ’58 Trophy Regatta. Harvard scored 104 points in both the A and B divisions. The total of 208 landed the Crimson in the eighth overall spot.

The A division team of juniors Morgan Russom and Isabel Ruane won the first race of the day. The racing tandem finished in the top-five five times. Juniors Caitlin Watson and Jacquelyn Cooley, the B division duo, followed suit with five top-five finishes of their own.

The women’s team from Yale managed to take home the trophy with 101 total points, while the hosts from MIT sailed to a fifth place finish with 175 points.

TUFTS CENTRAL SERIES 1

A young crew of Harvard sailors traveled to Tufts to compete in the Tufts Central Series 1 regatta. Freshmen Andrew Mollerus, Sydney Karnovsky, Marek Zaleski, and Sophie Bermudez represented the Crimson in their first collegiate regatta.

Skipper Mollerus and his crew Karnovksy competed in the A division for Harvard. The freshmen duo started their careers on the right note with a win in their division. After eighteen races, they stood atop the field with 94 points.

On Saturday, Zaleski skippered the B division boat while junior Alice Kenney served as crew. Bermudez and sophomore Ashleigh Ingis took over the B division boat on Sunday. These four racers totaled 84 points, second best in their division.

The Crimson finished with 178 points, just nine points behind the winners from Boston University.

While Coach O’Connor is pleased with how his team started the season, he acknowledges that there is still a long way to go.

“We’re going to work on starts, boat-handling, and timing,” Coach O’Connor said. “We need to be more consistent, and we are going to continue to work hard to polish our boat handling.”

—Staff writer Blake Sundel can be reached at bsundel@college.harvard.edu.

Sailing