Against BU, Men's Hockey Ends Five-Year OT Drought

Overtime has been quite the struggle for the Harvard men’s hockey program of late.

The Crimson had not won a regular season game in extra time in over five years—since November 20, 2007, when Doug Rogers ’10 put home the game-winner to give Harvard a 2-1 win at BU.

After that night, the Crimson went winless in its next 31 overtime matches, and it also failed to emerge victorious from Agganis Arena, home of its intracity rival and one of the nation’s best squads.

But that all changed Wednesday, when six different players scored for Harvard (5-7-1) to twice help it storm back from a three-goal deficit and stun the No. 8 Terriers (11-7-0).

The Crimson scored thrice in the final 15 minutes of the third period before senior forward Connor Morrison’s breakaway overtime goal with 48 seconds remaining beat Matt O’Connor and sealed a thrilling 6-5 comeback victory.

Two years ago, it was a 5-4 win over the Terriers in the Beanpot consolation game that sparked the Crimson—4-18-1 to that point—to a late-season resurgence, as Harvard went on to win seven of its next eight.

The Crimson—which had entered Wednesday’s game winless in its last six—now hopes an equally dramatic and improbable win over BU initiates a similar run.

“I think this group really believes in itself and things really haven’t gone their way as of a late,” Crimson coach Ted Donato ’91 said. “It’s a real close group—[they] really enjoy working hard for each other—so hopefully a win like this allows them to play with some confidence.”


Brothers Tommy O’Regan (a Harvard sophomore) and Danny O’Regan (a BU freshman) were both major contributors Wednesday night in their first collegiate matchup, though it was Tommy who emerged victorious.

“It [was] just cool to be out there against [Danny],” the sophomore said. “That was one of the best games that I’ve played in since I’ve been at Harvard.”

The younger O’Regan struck first, putting home a backdoor power-play one-timer with just 35 seconds remaining in the opening period to give the Terriers a 2-0 lead.

After a Megan Wade goal put BU up three, Tommy gave Harvard its first score when he fired home a wrist shot from between the circles at the 2:29 mark of the second period.

Following a power-play tally by freshman Brian Hart that cut the BU lead to 3-2, goals by Matt Nieto and the Terriers O’Regan left the Crimson in another three-score hole.

But Harvard was not to be denied, rallying back from there to tie things up. Senior Marshall Everson cut the Crimson deficit to two with a backdoor goal at the 6:38 mark and classmate Luke Greiner added a power-play tally to get the Crimson within one moments later. Colin Blackwell tied the game with under four minutes to go, collecting a loose rebound in front of the net and squeezing it past O’Connor for the equalizer.