No. 2 Women's Hockey Battles Back To Win 3-2 in OT

The No. 2 Harvard women’s ice hockey team followed up the Crimson men’s basketball team’s remarkable comeback with a come-from-behind, overtime win of their own Saturday, defeating St. Lawrence, 3-2, in Canton, N.Y.

A day after Clarkson snapped Harvard’s 11-game unbeaten streak, the Crimson (17-2-1, 14-1-0 ECAC) did not own a lead at any point in the game until junior forward Kalley Armstrong powered the puck past Saints’ goaltender Carmen MacDonald with less than three minutes remaining in the extra frame.

“This was a tough win for us,” Harvard coach Katey Stone said. “It was good for us to get back on track.”

The Crimson trailed by no more than one goal the entire game but never led in regulation. Things did not look promising for Harvard as St. Lawrence’s Kayla Raniwsky deflected a slap shot from teammate Dayle Wilkinson to put the Saints up, 2-1, with 11 minutes remaining in regulation.

But in the final minutes, the Crimson appeared determined not to leave its weekend in New York with two losses.

“We certainly did not come all the way out there to get swept,” Fry said. “I think we really just picked it up and started dominating the game.”

Following St. Lawrence’s second goal, Harvard controlled the possession, as Fry and co-captain Jillian Dempsey peppered MacDonald with shots. Dempsey and Fry led all skaters with ten and nine shots, respectively.

“I saw us stand up to the play, holding the blue line defensively and trying to be more aggressive,” Stone said.

Dempsey finally broke through with 6:18 left on the clock. Harvard’s leading scorer squeezed a shot from the top of the crease past MacDonald’s pads off of a centering feed from sophomore defender Michelle Picard.

“[Dempsey’s] goal was her just going hard to the net,” Fry said. “That was just what we needed.”

In overtime, St. Lawrence (13-9-2, 8-3-1 ECAC) called timeout with three minutes left to play. Off the ensuing faceoff in the Saints’ zone, sophomore defender Sarah Edney rang a shot off the post. In the scramble in front of the net to recover the puck, Fry found an open Armstrong in the slot for the game-winner.

“The thing I love about that [goal] is that our kids, they were in the right spots, dying to score,” Stone said. “They were hungry; they were all over the net, which we weren’t on Friday night.”

In the second period, overlapping hooking minors from Hillary Crowe and Kaitlin Spurling required the Crimson to kill off 1:46 of a 5-on-3 Saints power play. The two teams remained scoreless through 35 minutes.

“We were trying to be too cute, honestly,” Stone said of her team’s play early in the game. “We were trying to make perfect plays and then get the puck to the net. We over-passed and didn’t get the puck on net like we typically do.”

Abbey McRae of St. Lawrence opened the scoring with less than five minutes remaining in the second period. But Harvard forward Mary Parker responded less than two minutes later, converting a turnover behind the Saints’ net into a wrap-around goal.

Recommended Articles

EPS Students and Faculty Take On Hawaii
Over 30 Harvard students and faculty members within the Earth and Planetary Sciences Department traveled to Hawaii’s Big Island on a weeklong field trip this summer, giving them the opportunity to hike and explore one of the United States’ most active volcanic regions.
Fire Displaces HBS Students
A fire in a dormitory on Harvard Business School’s campus in Allston on Sunday evening caused an evacuation of the building but no injuries, according to news reports.
They're the Top
Spending time with my grandparents this summer, I found myself taken with the show tunes and ballads of their youth.
The Goal
Harvard Hockey 1989: A Championship in Perspective
Speakers Discuss Sustainable Development and Agriculture in Latin America
Representatives from NGOs working in South America and a Harvard professor spoke about the importance of sustainable agricultural practices within small native communities in South America at the Harvard Graduate School of Education Saturday afternoon.
1989 Hockey
Lane MacDonald ’89: Olympian, Harvard Hockey Star, Investor