Harvard Somehow Named as a Foodie Haven, Again

ā€¢
Internationally renowned chef Ferran AdriĆ  speaks at the final public Science and Cooking lecture. AdriĆ 's El Bulli Foundation will promote creativity in cuisine.

Despite grumblings from students weary of HUDS' offerings, there may be some among us endowed with a rare appreciation for the tantalizing triumph of tomato basil ravioli soup. "Surely the Science Center burritos warrant a Michelin three star rating!" they say. For these believers, the recent accolades Crimson cuisine has attracted from gourmands comes as a sweet reprieve from the surrounding claims of inedibility.

"Food and Wine," a magazine devoted to cutting-edge cuisine, has included Harvard in its list of the best "Universities for Food Lovers."Ā In an entry entitled "Gastronauts in Training," the magazine praises the Gen Ed course Science of the Physical Universe 27: "Science of Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter." (The class jets in avant-garde chefs from around the world to explain the physics and chemistry behind their state-of-the-art dishes.)

But that's not all. In fact, Harvard food seems to be on a roll with butter. In November, The Daily Meal ranked it 12th in its list of the "52 Best Colleges for Food in America."

However, we at Flyby donā€™t quite see the foodie's paradise that "Food and Wine" describes. While students in Science of Cooking may indeed whip up some incredible "haute cuisine," the food served up in Harvard dining halls is just hot at best. We donā€™t see any of Ferran AdriĆ 's legendary culinary foam appearing on the menu anytime soon. And the only soft matter in the servery is the sweet potato casserole.

Nevertheless, bon appƩtit. May tonight's red velvet fro yo satisfy your every foodie dream!

Food and DrinkFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.