Field Hockey Falls Short Against Defending National Champion Princeton

Despite a strong defensive performance, the Harvard field hockey squad fell short to Princeton, the defending national champions.
By Theresa C. Hebert, Contributing Writer

In a Princeton-filled weekend, Harvard field hockey (5-8, 1-4 Ivy) struggled in a hard-fought match against the defending national champion Tigers (9-4, 5-0) at Jordan Field.

Coming into the game, the Crimson knew it was in for an uphill battle. Harvard lost 7-0 to Princeton last year and the Tigers lead the all-time series 33 to five. Princeton’s pattern continued on Saturday, as the champions were victorious, 3-1.

In each of the Tigers’ previous 2013 Ivy League match-ups, they held commanding leads throughout. Prior to arriving in Cambridge, they had defeated Dartmouth 7-1, Yale 2-0, Columbia 5-0, and Brown 6-2. Princeton is undefeated in its last 18 Ivy games, chasing its own record of 24 straight from Oct. 2007 to Sept. 2011.

“We gave a little bit too much respect, so we were unable to push through,” said Crimson coach Tjerk van Herwaarden. “If we had believed a little bit more in our strengths, I think there was more to get.”

The first Tiger goal came on a quick dish into the circle. Teresa Benvenuti had the rebound off an initial shot and squeezed it between Harvard senior goalkeeper Jenn Hatfield’s legs.

However, the Crimson responded quickly. Junior forward Noel Painter had a hard shot off a pass from freshman forward Marissa Balleza to tie the score with 20 minutes remaining in the first half.

But it would prove to be too little as Julie Reinprecht and Cat Caro gave Princeton a lead they would not relinquish.

A Princeton yellow card in the first half and green card in the second gave Harvard a one-player advantage twice during the contest, but the team was unable to capitalize on either penalty.

Five more seconds in the first half would have seen the score tied at two as a breakaway led by senior forward Bridget McGillivray and Balleza gave the Crimson a last chance to even the score before the break. With the goalie several feet away from the net, the Crimson fell short, and time ran out before the team could get the ball in the back of the net.

The momentum at the end of the first period carried into the second, as Harvard wasted no time in getting the ball down the field and forcing a penalty corner. But a hard drive shot went just wide and the Crimson was unable to get the tip-in.

Following the team’s initial attack in the second period, Harvard struggled to stay on the offensive and the Tigers began to set the pace. Although the Crimson had several breakaways, the team was unable to hold onto the ball and was constantly in transition.

Defense was key for Harvard in keeping the game within striking distance. Alongside Hatfield, the back line had seemingly endless stick stops before the ball had a chance to reach Hatfield’s pads.

“I was really proud of our defense for just playing really great one on one defense, particularly Carly McNeill in the backfield, Dina, Sophie, and up through the midfield on their Olympic players,” Hatfield said. “We were really focused and had some good communication.”

One of Princeton’s strengths in keeping the Crimson at bay was burning time on the clock. When no midfield or forward passes seemed available, the defense would pass back and forth until a Harvard player would sprint for an interception.

“We are in a very different stage of where are programs currently are and I think we are much further than the team thinks they are which is a great thing,” van Herwaarden said. “We just need a little bit more confidence to compete with them on all fronts.”

Field HockeyGame Stories