Harvard Ready to Host Crosstown Rival MIT

Junior Jonah Travis had a career night in the Crimson’s season opener against Holy Cross, recording 20 points and 10 rebounds.
By Hope Schwartz, Crimson Staff Writer

After opening its season victorious under the bright lights of TD Garden, the Harvard men’s basketball team will return home to Lavietes Pavillion on Tuesday night.

Playing at Harvard for the first time since last spring, the Crimson (1-0) will look to build on Sunday night’s 82-72 win over Holy Cross in the Coaches vs. Cancer Tripleheader when it welcomes crosstown rival MIT (0-0) in its annual exhibition game.

The Engineers are a perennial threat in the division III NEWMAC conference. After making it to the final four in the 2012 NCAA Tournament, the Engineers fell early last season. MIT lost out on the conference title but made the tournament for its fifth consecutive year. A first round loss at the hands of Saint Mary’s College of Maryland cut the season short.

Though Harvard has won the last 10 matchups between the two teams, the Engineers played the Crimson too close for comfort last year. MIT opened the contest on a 10-0 run as Harvard’s defense faltered early in the game. Playing together for the first time, the Crimson struggled to contain guard Mitchell Kates ‘13—the team’s leading scorer—who outpaced either offense with 12 points in the first half and 20 on the night.

But as Harvard found its feet, talent overcame inexperience. A dunk by junior forward Jonah Travis started off his 14-point night, and he rode the momentum on the Crimson’s next possession to bring Harvard within four on a layup in the paint. With 10 minutes to play in the first half, junior wing Wesley Saunders connected on a fast break runner to tie it up at 12 and never looked back, opening up a 15 point lead by the final buzzer.

The Engineers have since graduated its 2012-13 stars—Kates and forward Will Tashman—and will rely on a young team with only two senior members. Of the top five scorers last season, only two will return. Sophomore guard Matt Redfield started all 26 games last season and racked up 10.3 points per game. The Engineers will also look to sophomore forward Justin Pedley, a sharpshooting perimeter threat who compiled a team-high 42 percent three-point mark and 8.2 points per game.

For Harvard, last year’s lack of experience has become an abundance. After taking a yearlong leave of absence last fall, seniors Kyle Casey and Brandyn Curry will play on their home court for the first time since 2012. In their debut on Sunday, Casey struggled with foul trouble early in the game and fouled out early in the second half with four points. Curry joined sophomore point guard Siyani Chambers in the backcourt and took the primary ball handling responsibility early in the game. He finished the night with three steals and 14 points.

“[Casey and Curry] have done an amazing job of fitting in, and that's so impressive out of two guys who have played a lot for this program and been a big part of its success,” said Crimson coach Tommy Amaker, following Sunday’s win. “Certainly coming back they have been very wise and mature to understand how to fit in and not think about taking over. That has endeared them to their teammates. Kyle got in foul trouble but you can see how Brandyn played, and I am confident in those two doing sensational things for us this season.”

In its season opener against the Crusaders, Harvard relied on a balanced offensive output to overcome an early deficit. Travis chipped in a career-high 20 points in his third career double-double. Five Crimson players scored in double digits, including Saunders—last year’s leading scorer with 16.2 points per game—who backed Travis with 18.

Chambers and Curry played together for the first time and both dished out six assists. After losing Curry last year, Chambers—then a freshman—rose to the occasion and was the driving force behind Harvard’s offense with a league leading 5.7 assists per game and 37.8 minutes per game. Now Chambers can afford to take a step back.

“[Curry and Chambers] really complement each other really well, and to have more ball handlers who can relieve pressure and make plays for everyone is a luxury,” Saunders said. “They are the driving force behind the team, the two-headed monster that makes us go, and we have to try and keep up with them.”

Though Harvard is the heavy favorite in Tuesday night’s matchup, all eyes will be on Cambridge as the Crimson looks to solidify its presence on the national stage early in the season. The Harvard has received votes in the AP Top 25 and the USA Today Coaches Poll but has yet to crack the standings.

—Staff writer Hope Schwartz can be reached at hschwartz@live.com. Follow her on Twiter @HopeSchwartz16.

PreviewsMen's Basketball