TV So Bad It's Good

It’s Wednesday afternoon and you want a break from studying for your Ec 10 midterm. What if you just want to sit back, relax, and watch a little TV as the plot unfolds before your eyes? That, my friend, is where a certain genre takes the spotlight. “TV so bad it’s good”, as it’s affectionately dubbed, is the category of all these shows that just let you get swept away in scripted love triangles, endearingly unrealistic plot twists, and most importantly, hot bad boy lead characters.

Here are a few suggestions:

"Reign"
Royalty. Intrigue. Hot Princes. Mary, Queen of Scots. What more do I have to say before you are watching the pilot on Hulu? If you like Renaissance drama and fabulous costumes with a little magic thrown in, highly consider taking the plunge. This is the coming of age story of Mary, Queen of Scots in that classic CW-style.*

*CW-style: Plot lines you can see from a mile away. Actually, make that five miles.

"The Vampire Diaries"
Vampires. Werewolves. Hybrids. Witches. Doppelgangers.

Whether you’ve been following along for five seasons or not, turn on any episode and let yourself be whisked away into the magical world of Mystic Falls. For our second CW drama (noticing a trend here?) we add in a lot of supernatural creatures and many flashbacks to 500 or so years ago. If you are looking for a juicy love triangle then stop right here; you've found it.

"Pretty Little Liars"
And now we switch over to ABC Family, home of many gloriously drama-filled soaps. We start with "Pretty Little Liars," which is about four teenage girls and the mysteries surrounding their dead best friend. (Disclaimer: I find this show too scary so I have only seen a few episodes, but those were enough to convince me to put this show on the list.)

"Switched at Birth"
Now we’re really getting into it. Two girls discover they were switched as newborns. They were raised in very different families and never really fit in but they finally meet when the hospital realizes the mistake. Oh, you better believe it’s some worlds colliding. Tune in to watch drama unfold.

"The Originals"
My dream come true Part 2. A spinoff of the Vampire Diaries starring everyone’s favorite diabolical family. This one takes place in New Orleans and swirls around Klaus, Rebekah, and Elijah as they take on mysterious forces plotting against them. Literally everything you could ever want in a show.

Disclaimer: Watch out, and make sure you don’t spend the next 10 hours catching up on the whole season. You’ve got Ec 10 to study for!

Flyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.