Kiefer Sutherland: Things You Didn't Know

•

Hasty Pudding Theatricals has finally picked a Man of the Year for 2013, and it's the guy who played Jack Bauer on Fox's "24" (also known to some diehard, know-it-all fans as Kiefer Sutherland).

Once you've learned how to spell his name (we at Flyby recommend that you do this ahead of time so you can immediately tweet any spottings on Friday. Luckily the "i" before "e" rule holds true here), you may want to know a few more things about the enigmatic Canadian star.

Herewith, four things you didn't know about Sutherland, the male recipient of the Hasty Pudding's highest annual honor:

1. In 1991, he almost married Julia Roberts. Roberts, incidentally, was the recipient of the Hasty Pudding Theatricals 1997 Woman of the Year Award. The greatest power couple never to walk down the aisle? Probably not. A fun coincidence? Definitely.

2. He starred in character as Bauer in a series of Japanese commercials for the nutritional supplement CalorieMate. As these commercials make clear, he does not speak Japanese.

3. He's an honest tweeter, even if that makes for lackluster tweets. Last February, he tweeted, "Don't have anything clever to say (not that I ever have) but having a great day & hope you are too!" So heartfelt and real!

4. He's no stranger to The Crimson. According to a Crimson review of the 2006 film "The Wild," an animated Disney film in which Sutherland voiced the part of Samson (protaganist and lion), "It could be said that Kiefer Sutherland is the next Sean Connery, albeit of a lesser talent than the legendary Scot."

Two years later, FM urged him to give up alcohol for lent.

Welcome back, old friend.

Hasty Pudding TheatricalsCelebritiesFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.