Harvard Thinks Big 2013: The Speeches that Didn’t Make the Cut

Harvard rang in the new semester last Thursday with its fourth annual “Harvard Thinks Big,” an event that featured six different Harvard professors, as well as a student, giving 10-minute speeches. FM recently acquired a list of speeches that didn’t make the cut. They are presented below in their full glory:

“This Republic of Hot Yoga”—Presented by Drew G. Faust

The event’s keynote speaker, Faust enthusiastically bounces onto the stage wearing her signature neon spandex shorts and headband. “Who’s ready to roll?!” Faust asks the crowd, which had expected a lecture on the Civil War.

“What the ‘N.’ Stands For: The Greg Mankiw Story”— Presented by N. Gregory Mankiw

Mankiw walks to the stage to thesound of deafening applause. Uponarriving to the podium, he takes out anew copy of Principles of Economics,his bestselling economics textbook,and encourages the audience topurchase it (“not the used edition!”).After discovering that the speech willnot count as one of his mandatoryEc 10 lectures, he leaves the stage,leaving preceptor David Johnson tofinish the remainder of the speech.

“This is Harvard Thinks Big”—Presented by David J. Malan ’99

The words “This is Harvard Thinks Big” are on the big screen, but where is David Malan? There he is, flying on to the Sanders Theater stage wearing an Iron Man suit. As he lands, his team of lady dancers, clad in CS50 lingerie, rush on stage and shoot t-shirts into the stands using their patented CS50 t-shirt guns. He concludes with a five minute slideshow featuring the CS50 TFs.

“My Thoughts on Life”—Presented by Larry H. Summers

Addressing the crowd in a smooth,baritone voice, the former presidentof the university says nothingcontroversial or offensive in theslightest.

“What I Do: An Explanation of My Job”—Presented by Evelyn Hammonds

Hammonds leaves the stage. Five minutes later, she comes back with a basket of Boloco burritos.

Recommended Articles

Malan Plans To Cut Letter Grades for CS50
SEAS Faculty Hesitate to Approve CS50 Grading Change
Less than a week after Computer Science 50 Lecturer David J. Malan ’99 announced that the class would switch to a satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading system, administrators and teaching fellows have expressed reservations about Malan’s plan.
CS50 Enrollment Increases by Nearly 200 Students
Enrollment in the introductory class Computer Science 50 jumped 56 percent from last year—from 337 students last fall to 525 this year. These enrollment numbers place CS50 as the fourth largest undergraduate class offered at the College.
CS50 Hackathon
CS50 Fair
CS50 Project Fair
Coolness.Factor++
Students and professors alike say that the image of the computer scientist has changed along with the growing popularity of the field.