'Do Good Well:' Advice from a Harvard Grad

Sometimes, crimson and blue make a purple-ish color. Other times, crimson and blue make a book about changing the world.

Nina Vasan '06, now pursuing a degree at Harvard Medical School, recently published "Do Good Well," a more-than-500-page guide for students and anyone interested in changing the world, with co-writer Jennifer Przybylo, a graduate of Yale University.

"I feel incredibly lucky to be a student at Harvard at a time when creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship are celebrated as ways to solve social problems next door and across the world," Vasan wrote in an email to the Crimson.

The tale of "Do Good Well" goes back to high school, when the co-authors met at the Prudential Spirit of Community Awards in Washington, DC. Seated next to each other at the first ice breaker, the two quickly became friends and made a point of reuniting every year at the Harvard-Yale game.

During her college years, Vasan was approached by a publisher asking her to develop a how-to book on inspiring, creating, and leading social change. Vasan had discussed this topic with Przybylo many times since their first meeting in high school, and decided that Przybylo would be the "perfect partner," she wrote.

"Do Good Well," true to its handbook role, combines case studies, advice, exercises, and more. The book is ultimately meant "to give students a comprehensive and practical roadmap for turning their idealism into impact," Vasan wrote.

100% of Vasan's net royalties from the book will go the Do Good Well Fund, a social impact fund that invests in young entrepreneurs and leaders with creative ideas and solutions.

People who are interested in the concept of Do Good Well can contribute by being part of the "Share What Works" contest.

BooksStudent LifeHarvard Medical SchoolAlumniFlyby Culture

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.