Get Out: Senior Spring

So, you’re a second semester senior. Finally finished with that thesis on the parallels between Doctor Seuss and Freudian romantic ideals, you feel like you’re on top of the world. But what do you do with all of that newfound free time? Here’s the perfect guide to squeezing in a whole semester’s worth of fun, seizing the day, and soaking up Harvard and the vibrant city of Boston before you don your commencement cap in May.
By Julia I. Biedry

1.  Appreciate those Harvard staples.As you will soon bid farewell to your beloved alma mater, be sure to take advantage of those “classic Harvard” pastimes before it’s too late. Check out a book for (gasp) leisure from one of the libraries. Then perhaps do one of the ubiquitous “three things” in a certain, famous library. Revive the ephemeral “Harvard tanning club” on the Quad lawn. Heck, go to that upstairs nightclub at the Kong. We’re all dying to know what’s up there.

2.  Re-enact “Good Will Hunting.”For a fun evening out, visit classic Boston locales made famous by “Good Will Hunting.” First, take a stroll in Boston Common and sit on that iconic bench where Sean and Will had a heart to heart. Head over to Kelly’s Roast Beef for a delicious sandwich (410 Revere Beach Blv., Revere), and top off the day with a visit to Southie bar L Street Tavern, where Will and Chuckie shared a few beers (658 E 8th St, S. Boston). If you’re a bit less adventurous, just sit and relax outside Au Bon Pain right on Mass Ave—the site of Will and Skylar’s casual coffee date.

3. Relive your childhood.Before you enter the real world, spend an afternoon revisiting the glory days of your youth. Sample the sweets at Sugar Heaven, one of Boston’s best candy stores (669 Boylston St). Relive Mom’s milk and cookies at the Boston Chipyard in Faneuil Hall. Finish the day in an epic laser battle at Laser Quest (1580 VFW Pkwy, West Roxbury). Now that you’ve got all of that out of your system, you can graduate like the sophisticated adult that you are.

4. Check out the local music scene.Forget the House of Blues or TD Garden—Boston is full of small, personal performance venues featuring alternative/indie music scene giants. Hit up the Paradise Rock Club (967 Commonwealth Avenue), the Middle East (472 Mass Ave.), or the Lilypad (1353 Cambridge St.) for a fresh take on Boston’s rich underground scene.

5. Explore.Sometimes sheer spontaneity leads to the best of times. Play “T Roulette” and get off at a random stop with an open mind. You may find your new favorite shop, restaurant, or bar along the way. Just like any good indie band, it’s always better when you discover something for yourself.

Soon, your Harvard experience will be in your rearview mirror as you speed on to an exciting new future. So take advantage of Cambridge and Boston while you still have the chance—you won’t find other college towns like them.

Student LifeThe Square