The Week in Preview: March 3-8

Between the promise of new undergraduate housing and a science center, the stop of construction, and the many development projects, this year's seniors have undoubtedly heard about Allston regularly since they stepped foot on Harvard's campus.

We've rounded up some of this coming week's most noteworthy events. Check them out and then check The Crimson for coverage the next day.

Tuesday March 5: Harvard alumnus, New York Times columnist, and author Nicholas D. Kristof will receive the Goldsmith Career Award for Excellence in Journalism. Joining the ranks of past recipients such as Frank RichBarbara Walters, and Christiane Amanpour, Kristof will give a public address to students and faculty at 6 p.m. on Tuesday at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.

Tuesday March 5 and Wednesday March 6: Members of the Harvard-Allston Task Force and the Harvard and Allston communities will gather Tuesday evening to continue the discussion on Harvard's plans to relocate some campus services to 28 Travis street. Members of the Allston community are strongly opposed to the relocation and the lack of emphasis Harvard has placed on community benefits in its Master Plan for its holdings in Allston.

On Wednesday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. in the Phillips Brooks House parlor room, the conversation will proceed with a panel discussion led by Task Force Member Harry Mattison and Pallavi Kalia Mande of the Charles River Watershed Association. The event, hosted by Harvard College Student Labor Action Movement, will bring together undergraduates, students from the Graduate School of Design, SEAS affiliates, Allston community members, and neighborhood revitalization experts to discuss Harvard's broader role in Allston.

Thursday March 7: Just a week and a half after a schizophrenic student's anonymous Crimson op-ed sparked a rally outside Massachusetts Hall, a Crimson editorial, and a public response from Director of Harvard University Health Services Paul J. Barreira, the Undergraduate Council and Office of Student Life have scheduled an open town hall event to discuss mental health services on campus. Set for Thursday at 7 p.m. in Emerson 105, the moderated event will feature a panel of guests, including Dr. Katherine Lapierre, Chief of Student Mental Health Services, and members of Student Mental Health Liaisons. Though there will be some factual information presented by the panel, most of the time will be devoted to question and answer, according to Barreira.

CORRECTION: March 4, 2013

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Director of Harvard University Health Services Paul J. Barreira would serve as a member of the panel on mental health services. While Barreira will attend the town hall event, he will not participate in the panel discussion.

City PoliticsHarvard in the CityStudent GroupsUHSHarvard Kennedy SchoolAllstonMental HealthJournalismFlyby CampusFlyby City

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.