By the Numbers: Men's Tennis

By Justin C. Wong, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard men’s tennis team (17-4, 5-0 Ivy) is undefeated in Ivy League play this season, and just clinched a share of its second straight Ivy League title after Sunday’s victory over Yale. The Back Page looks at some of the important numbers for the Crimson this season and a few more looking forward.

2...The number of years in a row Harvard has won at least a share of the Ivy League title. Last season, the Crimson went 6-1 in Ancient Eight play, losing only to Columbia en route to the conference title.

5…The number of years since the Harvard last completed an unblemished conference slate, since the 2007-08 season. The Crimson has a chance to wrap up a perfect 7-0 record with wins against Brown and Dartmouth this week.

10…The number of consecutive conference matchups the Crimson has won, stretching back to last year’s road loss to the Lions.

22…Harvard’s ranking in the ITA Men’s National Team Rankings. The Ivy rival closest to the Crimson is Columbia, who sits at No. 47 and at second place in the Ivy League.

12…The number of consecutive matches the team has won, dating back to a loss to Cornell at the ECAC Championships on Feb. 16th. Not coincidentally, 12 is also the number of consecutive matches in which Harvard has captured the all-important doubles point.

52...The national ranking of the Crimson’s top doubles tandem, sophomore Denis Nguyen and junior co-captain Casey MacMaster. The pair is a dominant 11-1 in dual play this season.

12-2…Senior co-captain Andy Nguyen’s record at fourth singles this season. His successful senior season has been crucial to Harvard’s winning ways this year.

75-7…The Crimson’s all-time record against the Bears dating back to 1929, who they will face on Thursday in their final home match of the year.

3…The number of conference wins (out of 11 matches) that Brown and the Big Green have combined for this season. Harvard has two more than that—and in six fewer matches.

Men's TennisSports Blog