Men's Volleyball Splits Weekend Play, Earns Playoff Bid

By Julian Ryan, Contributing Writer

Harvard men’s volleyball (14-8, 7-4 EIVA) clinched a spot in the EIVA Playoffs this weekend, splitting its two home games against Princeton (10-8, 8-4) and George Mason (14-3, 10-3).

Against the Tigers on Friday evening, the Crimson extended its home winning streak to 12 games in a dramatic match, winning 15-13 in the fifth set.

However, that win streak ended Saturday afternoon against the Patriots. Although Harvard jumped out in front winning the first set and subsequently had chances in the next three sets, George Mason ultimately prevailed, 3-1.

All three teams will be going to the playoffs in the next few weeks and lie behind powerhouse Penn State in the standings.

In both games the difference came down to the momentum-shifting points. While the Crimson was able to get the upper hand in that department on Friday, the team was on the receiving end of some impressive Patriot plays down the stretch on Saturday.

Captain Nick Madden led Harvard with 27 kills over the weekend in addition to 13 digs.

Check thecrimson.com for updates.

Sports BriefsMen's Volleyball