Festival Preview: Five Reasons to Check Out NYC’s Governors Ball

Yes, Kanye West is one of them.

Kanye West, pictured in a 2008 performance, will be one of the headliners at the Governors Ball music festival in New York City this weekend.
By Andrew R. Chow, Crimson Staff Writer

As the calendar hits June every year, hundreds of Harvard students flock 200 miles southwest to the investment banks, cramped NYU dorms, and unsleeping nightlife of New York City. Those lucky enough to spend the summer in the Big Apple also have the opportunity to attend one of the most impressive music festivals in the world: Governors Ball.

The June 7-9 festival on Randall’s Island off Manhattan features an absolutely stacked lineup headlined by Kanye West, Guns N’ Roses, and Kings of Leon. Crimson Arts will run full coverage of the event. Here are five reasons why you should attend, too.

1. Indie Rock Heaven. Pick any set in the middle of the day, and it will probably boast one of 2012’s most critically acclaimed indie outfits: Dirty Projectors, Japandroids, Beach House, Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, and supergroup Divine Fits. Just wandering around the island, you’ll find intelligent songwriting, intricate arrangements, and irresistible guitar lines at every turn.

2. “I don’t care, I love it.” There are buzz bands galore, but also plenty of guilty pleasures. Icona Pop will perform their mind-numbingly catchy hit “I Love It” to thousands of screaming, dancing fans. Same goes for the Lumineers and “Ho Hey.” And yes, Guns N’ Roses, the Ultimate Band You Love to Hate/Hate to Love, will put their stamp on a raucous weekend with face-melting guitar solos that will rise to the rafters.

3. Past and Future Queens of Hip-Hop. There aren’t many artists as talented, charismatic, stylish, or weird as Erykah Badu and Azealia Banks. Badu was a prominent face of the neo-soul movement in the ’90s and is still putting out incredible, adventurous music with a soulful, throwback style. Banks is a 22-year-old Generation Y leader who has embraced Twitter, electronic dance music production values, and a new breed of feminist hip-hop swag. They represent completely different ideals, yet share the same lineage—cherish the opportunity to catch them both in one weekend.

4. Explore Randall’s Island. In addition to the music, the festival gives you an excuse to check out a unique enclave in a city of cement and steel. The ferry ride provides a spectacular view of the Manhattan skyline, and once you get there, explore the parks, wetlands, bike routes, and the Urban Farm, complete with baby animals to hang out with.

5. The Continuing Saga of Kanye West. Is Kanye West the greatest performer, rapper, producer, and celebrity of our generation? This summer adds a new chapter to his whirlwind career—he’s got both a celeb baby and a new album on the way. His headlining performance at Governors Ball could further magnify his legend—or lead to a meltdown.

MusicMusic GroupsSummerCulture