EdX To Move Its Main Offices One Block Away in Kendall Square

By Madeline R. Conway, Crimson Staff Writer

EdX, the nonprofit online learning venture co-founded by Harvard and MIT, plans to relocate its main offices about a block away from its current space in Kendall Square.

According to Jim Sheehan, edX’s chief financial officer, edX has leased two floors of a building at 141 Portland Street currently occupied by ITA Software. Each of edX’s new floors occupy about 15,000 square feet.

EdX plans to move into the new space in January and anticipates having 90 to 100 full- and part-time employees and consultants there, Sheehan said.

Roughly 60 full-time employees and most of their consultants are currently working out of edX’s main offices at 11 Cambridge Center, and about 15 employees are in temporary space connected to the ITA building. EdX plans to bring its employees together on the two floors of the new space next year, according to Sheehan.

Sheehan said that edX realized that it was going to outgrow its current Cambridge Center space as it expanded throughout this past winter and early spring, and from there, started looking at space in the Cambridge and Boston area. After speaking with Harvard and MIT, edX officials decided it “made sense to stay in Cambridge,” Sheehan said.

EdX has grown rapidly since being launched in May 2012. The platform now boasts more than one million students and 29 member institutions, including one international organization and colleges and universities spanning four continents.

—Staff writer Madeline R. Conway can be reached at mconway@college.harvard.edu. Follow her on Twitter @MadelineRConway.

edXMetro