Football Ahead of Ivy Champion Quakers in FCS Preseason Poll

By Jacob D. H. Feldman, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard football team is the highest ranked Ivy in the FCS Coaches Preseason Poll, which was released Tuesday. The Crimson received 48 points as the 29th highest vote-getter. Despite winning the Ancient Eight last year and starting this season as the Ivy favorite, Penn received just 13 points in the poll.

Harvard also finished ahead of the Quakers in the poll at the end of last season. The Crimson was slotted 27th with 60 points, five slots higher than Penn, which received seven points in the Jan. 7 release.

The only other Ivy squad to garner a vote in the 2013 poll was Brown. The Bears, which were also the only other team to get a first-place Ivy vote, received one point.

Harvard’s first opponent of the year, the University of San Diego, got two points in the poll. The Crimson will face the Toreros Sep. 21. No other Crimson opponent got a vote.

—Staff writer Jacob D. H. Feldman can be reached at jacobfeldman@college.harvard.edu. Follow him on Twitter @Jacobfeldman4.

Football