Notebook: Hempel, Hayes, and Hodge Impress Against San Diego

By Jacob D. H. Feldman, Crimson Staff Writer

Whatever junior quarterback Conner Hempel did at halftime Saturday, he should do it again next week. And the week after that.

Two quarters into the Harvard football team’s season-opening game against San Diego, Hempel had just 39 passing yards. The Crimson was up 14-13, but only one of those Harvard scores came on offense, and Hempel gained more yards with his legs than his arm on that drive.

Then the second half started, and Hempel was a different player. On the first drive of the third quarter alone, he surpassed his entire yardage total from the first half. He completed five of six passes for 75 yards, including a pass threaded to sophomore Andrew Fischer for a 10-yard touchdown. Harvard was up 21-13, and the rout was on.

On the following drive, Hempel nearly had another touchdown pass, but junior wideout Seitu Smith fumbled the ball just before crossing the goal line.

In the fourth quarter, Hempel was even better.  He led three scoring drives, all of which ended with passing touchdowns as the Crimson pulled away for a 42-20 victory.

“We know we’ve got a quarterback,” Harvard coach Tim Murphy said. “I thought that Conner, more than anything, played with a lot of poise and discipline and made plays.”

Hempel finished the game with 345 yards, four touchdowns, and no interceptions. The junior benefited from great protection for most of the game, but he might have been even better when forced out of the pocket. Hempel kept his eyes downfield and completed several big pass plays after rolling out.

Coming into the 2013 season, Hempel was in a quarterback battle with senior Michael Pruneau, who missed last year with a knee injury. A week into the year, Hempel appears to have ended the quarterback controversy before it could begin.

Hayes and Hodges

Murphy knew he had said it before, but it was relevant again after the game Saturday.

“If we had six Norman Hayeses they’d be both safeties, both corners, and outside linebackers,” Murphy said. “He has a tremendous knack for the game…he’s just a great football player.”

Hayes did it all Saturday. Playing near the line of scrimmage for much of the game, he tallied a team-high 12 tackles and led the team with 1.5 tackles for loss. When he dropped into coverage, he was nearly as dominant.

With 4:51 left in the game, USD took possession, down 35-20. Needing two scores, the Toreros’ odds of a comeback were low, but they were about to get a lot lower. On second and five, San Diego quarterback Mason Mills dropped back to pass. At first it looked like he had an open receiver, but Hayes made a break on the ball, reached up with one hand and brought the pass down for what amounted to a game-ending interception.

If Murphy could make a defense full of clones including six Norman Hayeses, the other five players might be junior Zach Hodges, who happens to be Hayes’ roommate.

Hodges made his presence felt early Saturday when a fumbled ball bounced his way. The junior didn’t even consider falling on the ball. Instead, he deftly scooped it up and sprinted towards the end zone, scoring Harvard’s first touchdown of the year 53 yards later.

Even though that play set the tone for the game, it might not have been his most impactful of the day.

Following Smith’s fumble through the endzone, San Diego mounted a lengthy drive, down just eight at the time. A play action pass brought the Toreros all the way down to the one yard line. On first and goal, running back Joe Ferguson was stuffed on a dive play. Upset he wasn’t rewarded a touchdown, Ferguson jumped up and down.

Then, on second down he tried to jump over the pile. Captain linebacker Joshua Boyd stood Ferguson up and knocked the ball free. Hodges was there to grab it, denying USD a chance to tie the game.

—Staff writer Jacob D. H. Feldman can be reached at jacob.feldman@thecrimson.com.

NotebooksFootball