Annual Allston Village Street Fair Draws Runners, Residents

Allston residents and visitors celebrate the cultural diversity at the Allston Village Street Fair Sunday afternoon on Harvard Street.  The festival featured international food trucks and multicultural musical performances..
Allston residents and visitors celebrate the cultural diversity at the Allston Village Street Fair Sunday afternoon on Harvard Street. The festival featured international food trucks and multicultural musical performances..
By Callie H. Gilbert, Contributing Writer

Midway through the 30th annual Allston Village Street Fair on Sunday, runners from across the city participating in the Brian J. Honan 5k race sprinted along the outskirts of the festival in an unusual twist for the yearly event.

The multicultural fair brought together not only the city’s running enthusiasts, but also residents from Allston-Brighton, Cambridge, Boston, and Brookline, filling the streets between Brighton Avenue and Cambridge Street with a variety of culinary, shopping, and entertainment booths.

Runners who finished the race took the opportunity to enjoy the festivities going on in the area, which included street performers, moon castles, and face painting for children.

For University accountant Robert Breslin, this meant that he could go to the two events on the same day, having attended both in the past.

While the race usually does not coincide with the Allston festival, their connection this year was not limited to their location. The run was sponsored by Harvard Public Affairs and Communications and Harvard Business School, and a total of 569 runners from the Harvard community registered to participate.

The Harvard University Band also marched during a mid-festival parade.

Though the morning began with light rain, the weather gave in to sunnier skies and warmer temperatures, making the fair a more pleasant experience for some attendees.

“It was relaxing and fun to walk around and see all the different vendors,” Melanie M. Slone ’17 said. “If it had been any colder or raining, I’m sure the turnout would not have been as large.”

In addition to hosting a variety of street performers, some of which can regularly be seen in the Square, the fair also featured music performances by local rappers and bands. Those looking for a bite to eat could stop by the international food market or one of the many booths selling food from around the world—from barbecue to Chinese to Indian.

Paul Cantillon, a marketing manager for the beverage company Izze, said the event’s large crowds create a great opportunity for vendors.

“You have time for good consumer interactions, and really connect with the people attending,” Cantillon said.

Harvard in the CityAllston